Help with coral color, mine seem to fade.

BRS

Coxey81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, was hoping to get some insight on what could be causing my corals to fade over time. I get good growth. But I have notice compared to other local reefers my coral seem to fade.

At first I thought it was just my light settings (AI Primes). But my friend has the same lights and runs pretty much the same settings. Then, I thought it was my Aquarium glass, but I got some zoas the other day and they are super bright and florescent compared to my older corals.

My buddy thinks it's trace elements. He uses all for reef and and a higher quality salt (tropical marine I believe). I use instant ocean.

My alk, cal, and mag are all good. (8.7, 450, 1340) and stay steady with dose pumps.

I've decided it's either food or possibly trace elements.

I feed coral frenzy, red sea AB+, and a frozen blend.

I attached some images. You can't see how drastically the difference is in them. But you can kind of tell.

The big zoa colony ai just got. The hammers and frogspawn I have had about a year. Not the best pics I know, I can take some more if anyone has specific questions.

Thanks for any help.

20230107_134617.jpg 20230107_142810.jpg

Attachments

• 20230107_134518.mp4
    50 MB
  • 20230107_142953.mp4
    37.7 MB
Nutramar Foods

Duffer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Think it’s trace elements…

do an icp test first so you can see what elements if any are lacking…I’m a solid believer in icp test..it shown me a few years ago I was lacking trace elements and I start dosing them and I can tell you my corals took off in growth and color…I do believe lights help too

BRS
OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Think it’s trace elements…

do an icp test first so you can see what elements if any are lacking…I’m a solid believer in icp test..it shown me a few years ago I was lacking trace elements and I start dosing them and I can tell you my corals took off in growth and color…I do believe lights help too
Anyone you recommend for the icp test? Like the send offa sample kind I suppose is what you mean.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back