Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still very new to this hobby and have a coral beauty angelfish that I’m worried about. She seems to have something on both sides behind her gills, but doesn’t seem to match any disease I’ve found online. I’d be very appreciate of advice. Thanks!

C094404F-A2A9-445B-9631-A69E65F37F4F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8285.MOV
    51.9 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
N

NewInNC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gotten the video to work, but here’s another picture that might be better. The fin is in the way, but you can see a little of the discoloration.

Attachments

• IMG_8305.jpeg
    IMG_8305.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 29
Top Shelf Aquatics

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the pale yellow patch? Doesn’t look like anything serious to me. It could be an injury, but that’s unlikely if it’s symmetrical. Keep an eye on it to watch if it spreads or if the angel is acting weird at all.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

OP
OP
N

NewInNC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gotten the video to work, but here’s another picture that might be better. The fin is in the way, but you can see a little of the discoloration.
Well, my Angel fish died yesterday. I regret that I didn’t get a picture to see if anyone could identify cause of death. Today, our two spot bristletooth tang unexpectedly died. She had been in quarantine for four weeks and had been in the main tank for nearly a week and had seemed to be doing well. I’m attaching a picture. I’m curious about the brown coloration on her fins, as that was not present when she was alive. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the rest of my fish alive? The water readings were all within normal limits last week and again today. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8435.jpeg
    IMG_8435.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 18
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
N

NewInNC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.
Any abnormal behaviors before death? Post mortem pics usually don’t tell much. An open mouth can indicate a lack of oxygen - how is the surface agitation?
I had some surface agitation, but not much. I had a small power head for the tang, which I now pointed toward the surface to increase the surface agitation. I have a 90 gallon, with now seven young/small fish (2 clown, Midas blenny, 3 dart fish, and a wrasse), as well as two shrimp, snails, and two emerald crabs as cleanup crew.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you fed these two fish since you acquired them? Both content and quantities. I'm assuming you did not notice any unusual behavior or obvious external blemishes during the time you had them.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discoloration could just be post mortem, but the wide open mouth indicates some gill issue - low dissolved oxygen or gill disease.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back