+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I woke up this morning and instantly could tell my Blonde Naso was not acting right, In addition my other Naso is
hanging with him starting to act the same way. At my morning feeding neither one ate or showed any interest, All other fish
are acting normal. All water parameters are perfect including salinity, temp etc.

This is a fish that I posted a video a few weeks ago and was determined to have lymphosystis, I have religiously been giving them
Selcon, Garlic and Top Quality foods. The fish is waving in place all day, pointing up. I am noticing more spots (see Video). Only
changes to the tank are a Foxface in the past few days. Again, all other fish are eating acting normal. The only caveat, my niger trigger
has started getting the same looking spots which I expected others could get the lymphosystis, Can anyone help here, I just did a dose
of Poluplab Medic, My QT tank is not available, if needed I could always go get another if it means saving this guy or others...

See video's Here and Here and Here

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I woke up this morning and instantly could tell my Blonde Naso was not acting right, In addition my other Naso is
hanging with him starting to act the same way. At my morning feeding neither one ate or showed any interest, All other fish
are acting normal. All water parameters are perfect including salinity, temp etc.

This is a fish that I posted a video a few weeks ago and was determined to have lymphosystis, I have religiously been giving them
Selcon, Garlic and Top Quality foods. The fish is waving in place all day, pointing up. I am noticing more spots (see Video). Only
changes to the tank are a Foxface in the past few days. Again, all other fish are eating acting normal. The only caveat, my niger trigger
has started getting the same looking spots which I expected others could get the lymphosystis, Can anyone help here, I just did a dose
of Poluplab Medic, My QT tank is not available, if needed I could always go get another if it means saving this guy or others...

Both the trigger and the blonde naso have Lymphocystis, no worries there.

The naso also has some additional damage to its pectoral fin - not sure what fish caused that.

How long have you had the naso? There is a big issue right now with this species just not doing well in captivity. lots of people are having problems with them.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Thank you.... I've had The Naso for at least a month, he was fantastic other than Lympho, he was eating like a pig from the first minute in the tank. He really was perfect in the sense of outgoing and not spooked by anything... Ate perfectly fine last night so I'm stumped...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello all,

Thanks for good videos. The trigger and blonde naso appear to have lympho yet which are large enough to be visible to the eye. I dont see this as ich.
Worse is, the blonde naso is awfully thin and there has been issues with them especially those from Sri Lanka who based on suspicion of method of capture methods start out Ok, and slowly waste away thinning, swimming upright, refusing to eat and then end up in powerhead or tank bottom.

I want to confirm with @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 I did read your previous reply to someone else who lost a Naso, I could be wrong but my Naso didn't appear to be underweight for his size, he eats like a hog until this morning... So weird, Just wish there was something I could do to help out...

Avast

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 I did read your previous reply to someone else who lost a Naso, I could be wrong but my Naso didn't appear to be underweight for his size, he eats like a hog until this morning... So weird, Just wish there was something I could do to help out...
What are you feeding it?
Believe me, it’s thin. Here is a pic of mine I JUST TOOK- the belly and back are full and thick in which is a typical nourished Naso tang
9A074C42-D36C-4AB5-BEC0-B2A4D6CD043A.jpeg

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 ,

I dosed the Polyp lab medic about 3 hours ago, call it placebo effect for me but he's at least swimming around right now... Do you reccomend I continue for the 10 days or not the proper treatment from what we can see... I don't think it can hurt but wanted your opinion? Thanks again for the help so quickly!

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding it?
Believe me, it’s thin. Here is a pic of mine I JUST TOOK- the belly and back are full and thick in which is a typical nourished Naso tang
View attachment 3093781
LRS Fish Frenzy and Reef Frenzy, Macro Alage, Selcon daily and Garlic....

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
LRS Fish Frenzy and Reef Frenzy, Macro Alage, Selcon daily and Garlic....
Fish frenzy good. There’s a chance that while eating and losing weight may be a liver issue

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 ,

I dosed the Polyp lab medic about 3 hours ago, call it placebo effect for me but he's at least swimming around right now... Do you reccomend I continue for the 10 days or not the proper treatment from what we can see... I don't think it can hurt but wanted your opinion? Thanks again for the help so quickly!
Polyp lab MEDIC which I do like is for ich in form of reef safe remedy and is hit or miss with ich and for ich May or May not work . Won’t help with this issue unfortunately
The best recourse is pristine water quality and added diet
Foods with fats and vitamins:
Formula 2 frozen
LRS herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Hikari veggie diet
Rods original formula

….,.. as examples

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab Medic is a peroxide salt. It sometimes can help control external protozoans, but I don't see those in this case. What may have happened is that peroxides can be mildly irritating to the fish, and that may have caused it to swim more actively?

I wish I had a better handle on this problem with blonde nasos. It really become common to see when Hawaii closed down to aquarium fishing. Lots of regular nasos came from there. I think then, to fill in for that missing species, more of these were ordered from Indonesia, and so more got into the pet trade. Indonesia is notorious for using cyanide to collect fish, and that in turn causes late mortality.

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, Sorry for the delay in posting.... The Blond passed the next morning and the Naso the following. Identical symptoms, all other fish perfectly fine. I Brought this to the attention of my close friend who owns the LFS, he said his supplier does not get fish that are captured that way, I told him that the supplier i'm sure is not doing anything malicious but this is a common issue as of recent. We had our friendly debate and left it alone, the next morning I was in the store to replace the 2 fish and he informed me his Naso passed, "Same Batch" of fish from the same supplier in LA.... I'm 1000 percent confident you all were spot on!

Thanks a million!

Bozburn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I am having the same issue with my Blonde Naso, got him last month and ate like a pig and came home yesterday and didn't even look at the nori or frozen food. Caught him and put him in a 5 gal bucket with epsom salt to see if its digestive issues. He is still alive this morning but I don't know how long he will last.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, Sorry for the delay in posting.... The Blond passed the next morning and the Naso the following. Identical symptoms, all other fish perfectly fine. I Brought this to the attention of my close friend who owns the LFS, he said his supplier does not get fish that are captured that way, I told him that the supplier i'm sure is not doing anything malicious but this is a common issue as of recent. We had our friendly debate and left it alone, the next morning I was in the store to replace the 2 fish and he informed me his Naso passed, "Same Batch" of fish from the same supplier in LA.... I'm 1000 percent confident you all were spot on!

Thanks a million!

Sorry to hear. One thing though, cyanide mortality isn't "contagious" so when i hear two fish dying at the same time, I'm less inclined to blame cyanide....still possible if they were both recent acquisitions, but less likely.

It is fairly rare for a LFS to know the region their fish was collected in, much less if cyanide was used or not. Even the importers don't know. The supply chain is so long, that even the exporters don't know for sure. The fish in SE Asia are collected by villagers and then held in bags for a travelling person who buys them and takes them to the exporter, who then exports them. Nobody really knows how the fish are being caught. We infer that cyanide is being used based on unusual mortality rates. There are some regions where cyanide is NOT used. If you know fish are coming from those regions, you can be more protected from that issue. Here is an article I wrote on souring marine fish:

Jay

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thank you for the wealth of knowledge and great article, all 3 fish were sourced from the same supplier so I am inclined to assume the same issue, especially given the same symptoms and 2 different tanks.

Is there a place we can donate to you for all your help? Thanks again Pete
PS I posted that video of my blue tang with better lighting on my other post fyi...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thank you for the wealth of knowledge and great article, all 3 fish were sourced from the same supplier so I am inclined to assume the same issue, especially given the same symptoms and 2 different tanks.

Is there a place we can donate to you for all your help? Thanks again Pete
PS I posted that video of my blue tang with better lighting on my other post fyi...

Thanks, just support Reef2Reef as you do!

I'll check out the other post in just a sec

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back