Help. Tank Crash. All fish and inverts dead in one night after clean up and water change.

vshiu

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this 275 gal marine tank for 10 years, Over the seas fish die slowly and recently only have a few fish left in the tank. I have some brittle starts, sea urchin as well.
Last night, I am sick and tired of the green hair algae in my tank and decided to suck them up and brush my rocks, also did a larger 50% water change, (which I have done may times before with no problem.)

At the end of the water change, I saw my clownfish laying flat on the leather coral which she likes to hide, but swim when I get close to her.

I went to sleep after and in the morning, all my fish are gone, all the inverts are dead too.

I check the Nitrates, Ammonia , salt level, temperature etc and no issues. (PS I us RO water)

I have no clue entire day wondering why they all die? I use no chemicals, no dosing, no soap accidental spill, during the entire process.
When I brush / blow my rocks and remove the green algae, is it possible I upset my corals (only leather and green stars) and they releases toxic to the water ? I have no more anemone I think...which they die few years ago which crashed my tank back then.

Anyone has any clue?

I am heartbroken :( .

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
V

vshiu

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick reply. I used one of those baby bottle plastic brush to brush it, brush is quite soft to the touch. I do that every time I clean my tank, my local fish store staff told me to scrub my tank and rocks to avoid green hair algae.

Arthurfarris

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The steps to clean a fish tank after a fish dies that I have followed for my aquarium are: first remove the fish carcass from the tank, then check the filter system. I had to equip the tank with a sufficient filtration system. strong enough to keep the water clean from the waste produced by dead fish. Water testing is necessary because contaminated water can be the cause of engine downtime. In addition, a partial change of contaminated water is also the fastest way to remove contamination in the aquarium.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he did, but I'm sure it had time to off gas in the two years since the original post was made :D
I always forget to check the dates. I always assume if it's in the new posts then it's recent.

SDK

Reef Diver
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always forget to check the dates. I always assume if it's in the new posts then it's recent.
I figured, and was just ribbing you. I've done that a few times with zombie threads myself...

Nutramar Foods

Mikeltee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I vacuum all reachable sand every partial water chance. I've gone as much as 2 months without doing this and never had a problem. I sift everything that doesn't have a rock on it and my sand looks brand new. Knowing I could lose everything just because I brush up against my sand pile is not something I could live with. It take only a few minutes to sift sand.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I vacuum all reachable sand every partial water chance. I've gone as much as 2 months without doing this and never had a problem. I sift everything that doesn't have a rock on it and my sand looks brand new. Knowing I could lose everything just because I brush up against my sand pile is not something I could live with. It take only a few minutes to sift sand.
zombie thread, its a trap we've all been tricked

World Wide Corals

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also is that your dragon moray? those things are awesome I love them so much
Yeah hes mine, theyre the coolest fish in the ocean, i had to have one haha if you want to see more of him you can check out my one build thread here or my Instagram is @thedragonsreef

20211106_175249.jpg

Arthurfarris

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The steps to clean a fish tank after a fish dies that I have followed for my aquarium are: first remove the fish carcass from the tank, then check the filter system. I had to equip the tank with a sufficient filtration system. strong enough to keep the water clean from the waste produced by dead fish. Water testing is necessary because contaminated water can be the cause of engine downtime. In addition, a partial change of contaminated water is also the fastest way to remove contamination in the aquarium.
Knowing how to clean an aquarium has helped me get rid of the bacteria left behind after the fish died and restore the aquarium to a normal state. and I think new aquarium owners should know this too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Cultivated Reef
Back