Sal 1.026
KH 11.5 dkh
Cal 460
mg 1380
n03 2
p04 0.03
Temp 77.3 f

Using IO Reef Crystals mixed to 1.026

My 40b is a bit over 6 months old. I had a rocky start but have been stable for 4 months now. The tanks is stocked with a variety of LPS, SPS, Zoas, some euphyllia and a Toadstool. Two months ago the corals started taking up the tank elements fast enough for me to think I needed to start dosing. So I started dosing 2-3ml all4reef daily and all the corals seemed very happy. I stopped dosing two weeks ago since alk kept creeping into the 12's, I did this by dosing 1ml every other day and then stopping.

Last week there was no significant drop in alk, cal or mg but I still did my weekly 5 gallon water change. I'm unable to detect any change in water parameters aside from the discontinuing of all4reef. I've seen the slightest uptick in red slime in the sand. But starting last week the colors have faded. The green on my Raja Rampage chalice blew off in some places with a turkey baster but started to return. My lava flow leptopseris no longer has its bright orange eyes. Cloudberries chalice is all deflated looking. My acans and favia/favites are no longer puffy and are washed out. Montipora is washed out. Zoas have been closed up for days. My duncan, hammer and goniopora never open. Birdsnest and Bird of paradise are no longer fluffy. GSP is closed up. Toadstool is closed up. The only ones looking ok is pulsing xenia and mushrooms.

Is there anything else I should be testing for?

Is one of my corals releasing toxins?

Should I start mixing my reef crystals to a lower salinity?

Should I switch to a lower alk salt? Aqua forest is on sale.

I've put so much work and money into this tank. I really don't want to lose these corals. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

IMG-0984.jpg

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
PH 8.2
Sal 1.026
KH 11.5 dkh
Cal 460
mg 1380
n03 2
p04 0.03
Temp 77.3 f

Using IO Reef Crystals mixed to 1.026

My 40b is a bit over 6 months old. I had a rocky start but have been stable for 4 months now. The tanks is stocked with a variety of LPS, SPS, Zoas, some euphyllia and a Toadstool. Two months ago the corals started taking up the tank elements fast enough for me to think I needed to start dosing. So I started dosing 2-3ml all4reef daily and all the corals seemed very happy. I stopped dosing two weeks ago since alk kept creeping into the 12's, I did this by dosing 1ml every other day and then stopping.

Last week there was no significant drop in alk, cal or mg but I still did my weekly 5 gallon water change. I'm unable to detect any change in water parameters aside from the discontinuing of all4reef. I've seen the slightest uptick in red slime in the sand. But starting last week the colors have faded. The green on my Raja Rampage chalice blew off in some places with a turkey baster but started to return. My lava flow leptopseris no longer has its bright orange eyes. Cloudberries chalice is all deflated looking. My acans and favia/favites are no longer puffy and are washed out. Montipora is washed out. Zoas have been closed up for days. My duncan, hammer and goniopora never open. Birdsnest and Bird of paradise are no longer fluffy. GSP is closed up. Toadstool is closed up. The only ones looking ok is pulsing xenia and mushrooms.

Is there anything else I should be testing for?

Is one of my corals releasing toxins?

Should I start mixing my reef crystals to a lower salinity?

Should I switch to a lower alk salt? Aqua forest is on sale.

I've put so much work and money into this tank. I really don't want to lose these corals. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 2787945
Assure you’re not getting false readings and also applying to salinity elevation
It would not hurt to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with for comparison

lucyretz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple things

first of all discontinue water changes for now. Your nutrients are too low. Get your Nitrates to 10 and you Phos to 0.10. When you do these changes youre taking out nutrients. Monitor closely and let Alk drop. once it drops to like 9, see how much the tank is consuming per day and dose it. same for cal and mag.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back