+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 10g nano mixed reef with about 20 frags. Mix of zoas, LPS, and SPS. Here are my current parameters:

Salinity(Refractometer): 1.025
pH(API): 8.2
Alkalinity (Hannah): 7.8
Calcium(API): 380
Mg(Salifert): 1200
Nitrate(API): 5-10

The was started with a mix of live rock and dry rock. Coralline algae is starting to grow in the dry rock. The corals also started to grow about 1 month ago, especially the Duncan that has 4-5 new polyps since adding. Everything was great for about 2 weeks with just normal 10% weekly water changes, but then I noticed the calcium and alkalinity dropping fast. Calcium down to 360 and Alkalinity is steady in upper 7s. LFS recommended Seachem Reef Fusion 2 part.

I started dosing Seachem Reef Fusion Part 1 (4mL) and Part 2 (1mL) 1 week ago. Part 1 in the morning and Part 2 at night. Yesterday, I did 6mL's of part 1 but no difference again today. I still haven't seen calcium above 400 and it swings back and forth from 360-380. Alkalinity is pretty steady about 7.8-7.9, checked at different times of day, but still much lower than before.

Can I just increase the Part 1 dose to increase calcium? The part 1 says not to exceed 4mLs/6.5g per day, so 6.1mLs for my tank.
Do I need to increase Mg first? Why is Mg low?

Thank You!!!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
M

MB_Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for a test kit? I like 3-part solutions, as you can just add what you need, ie: alkalinity, calcium, magnesium...
I listed them next to the parameters. Salifert for Mg, Hannah Checker for Alk, API for everything else. I always do 2 tests for the API cause I know those aren't the best. Still should be giving a good estimate though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I listed them next to the parameters. Salifert for Mg, Hannah Checker for Alk, API for everything else. I always do 2 tests for the API cause I know those aren't the best. Still should be giving a good estimate though.
I'd exclude any API teat results and just stick with Hanna or Salifert. Do you perform regular water changes and have you tested the parameters of your salt?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back