Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I need some help in identifying what is going on with my Orange Shoulder tang. I am not sure if I should try to get him out or let it go. I have a mixed reef so I do not believe treating in the tank is an option. He is swimming, pecking rocks, eating seaweed. Does not seem to be swimming abnormal and I have not seem him scraping the sand. Any help in identifying what this is (picture included)
IMG_3112.jpeg
and any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello, I need some help in identifying what is going on with my Orange Shoulder tang. I am not sure if I should try to get him out or let it go. I have a mixed reef so I do not believe treating in the tank is an option. He is swimming, pecking rocks, eating seaweed. Does not seem to be swimming abnormal and I have not seem him scraping the sand. Any help in identifying what this is (picture included) View attachment 2960326and any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Oh my goodness. Looks like an abscess that has become infected. When did this start?
Showing a bacterial issue, recommended is to quarantine fish and treat with both Seachem kanaplex as well as seachem Metroplex added to the foods at .5gm which is a very tiny amount and will address internal issues if any.
Maintain good water quality during treatment with a reliable ammonia test kit and increase oxygen with use of an air stone

Second opinion - @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Corals4Reef

Corals4Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness. Looks like an abscess that has become infected. When did this start?
Showing a bacterial issue, recommended is to quarantine fish and treat with both Seachem kanaplex as well as seachem Metroplex added to the foods at .5gm which is a very tiny amount and will address internal issues if any.
Maintain good water quality during treatment with a reliable ammonia test kit and increase oxygen with use of an air stone

Second opinion - @Jay Hemdal
Thank you. It started about 5-7 days ago. I had thought it may be lymphocystis and would go away, but it has gotten darker in color and lesion has grown some. I have been watching him closely and all other activities seem normal- eating, swimming, breathing. I was thinking I need to get him out of the display tank. I appreciate the advice on treatment.

Avast

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you. It started about 5-7 days ago. I had thought it may be lymphocystis and would go away, but it has gotten darker in color and lesion has grown some. I have been watching him closely and all other activities seem normal- eating, swimming, breathing. I was thinking I need to get him out of the display tank. I appreciate the advice on treatment.
Eating is great. At least he will take in the metro with food

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, this appears to be a bacterial infection.

I don't think Metro will help, it is mostly an anti-parasitic, it does have some affect on anaerobic bacteria - however external bacterial issues, being bathed in water, are always aerobic. That said, is that one pale section actually swollen? If so, that could be a pocket of anaerobes.

I think the best treatment for this would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a full course of a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Since catching a moving a fish like this is risky, I often will tell people to just keep an eye on it to see if it resolves on its own. However, in this case, I think the lesion is pretty serious and is worsening, so treatment may be the best way to go.

Jay

OP
OP
Corals4Reef

Corals4Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, this appears to be a bacterial infection.

I don't think Metro will help, it is mostly an anti-parasitic, it does have some affect on anaerobic bacteria - however external bacterial issues, being bathed in water, are always aerobic. That said, is that one pale section actually swollen? If so, that could be a pocket of anaerobes.

I think the best treatment for this would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a full course of a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Since catching a moving a fish like this is risky, I often will tell people to just keep an eye on it to see if it resolves on its own. However, in this case, I think the lesion is pretty serious and is worsening, so treatment may be the best way to go.

Jay
Thank you Jay. I do not see any swelling outside of the growth/tumor area, but I am not an expert. Catching him to treat could be challenge, but I will see what I can do as it does seem like it is worsening. I appreciate all the advice.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this fish eating?
Thanks.

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is eating seaweed and a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy, reef candy, spirulina mysis shrimp. Feed 3 times a day. He attacks the seaweed and is pecking on the rocks constantly. All activity seems normal.
Give in to the fish's desire -- more algae. You didn't indicate what algae you are using but I'd recommend nori (make sure it is air or sun dried, NOT heated), and a mix of some of the other dried sea algae products for sale. Feed as often as you. The more often you feed, the less quantity you feed at each time.

Is he in the 114g aquarium in your build? What is this fish's length? What else is in this aquarium?

Good luck!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Corals4Reef

Corals4Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give in to the fish's desire -- more algae. You didn't indicate what algae you are using but I'd recommend nori (make sure it is air or sun dried, NOT heated), and a mix of some of the other dried sea algae products for sale. Feed as often as you. The more often you feed, the less quantity you feed at each time.

Is he in the 114g aquarium in your build? What is this fish's length? What else is in this aquarium?

Good luck!
Thank you. I am feeding the Ocean Nutrition red marine seaweed and will certainly try the nori. I actually need to update my build. I upgraded my tank to an Aqua Forest 790 tank 155g picture below.
A70B570D-1252-4519-98D1-FDBFAC54AF8F.jpeg

In the tank are
- 5 chromis
- white tale bristletooth tang
- scribbled rabbitfish
- 2 clowns
- juvenile watanabe angel
-inverts conch snails, couple cleaner shrimp, tuxedo urchin,blue hermits
The orange shoulder is about 4.5 inches

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He is eating seaweed and a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy, reef candy, spirulina mysis shrimp. Feed 3 times a day. He attacks the seaweed and is pecking on the rocks constantly. All activity seems normal.
Algae is not the answer. Its needs fats and aminos and some other foods to feed are:

LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Ocean nutrition Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back