Help Needed: Deflated Hammer Coral After Splitting

john_ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on with my hammer coral? I introduced it to the tank in the first week of April. It started as a small frag that appeared to be splitting into two heads when I received it. It seemed to be doing great and growing quickly until July 1st. At that point, it looked like it was starting to split into three or four heads. However, for the past month, it has been deflated and no longer has the ball shape it used to.

The polyps around the mouth seem completely retracted, although it still extends every day, just very deflated. I've read that hammer corals can retract a bit during splitting, but a month's time seems a little excessive. My tank parameters have been stable the entire time, and there are no visible pests or color loss. It gets very light flow, just enough for gentle movement. The PAR is around 90-100. All my other coral frags are doing fine and growing well, including a toxic green hammer about 8-10 inches away from this one that's thriving in the same flow.

Pictures below from top to bottom are:
1. Day 1 introduction - April 4
2. May 1
3. June 1
4. All of July to current
5. Now - night when retracted
6. Now - night when retracted

I'm at a loss here. Here are my tank parameters for reference:

- Salinity: 1.026
- pH: 8.1
- Phosphate: 0.04-0.06
- Nitrate: 15-20
- Calcium: 450
- Alkalinity: 8.8
- Magnesium: 1440

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Day 1 - April 4.PNG May 1.PNG June 1.PNG Now.PNG Now - retracted at night .PNG Now - night retracted.JPG

Last edited:

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just working hard on building out those new heads. It looks very healthy based on the flesh band and its not completely retracted. Maybe give it another couple weeks and keep an eye on that flesh band going down the stalk. If that starts to recede then you know there is a problem.

OP
OP
J

john_ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just working hard on building out those new heads. It looks very healthy based on the flesh band and its not completely retracted. Maybe give it another couple weeks and keep an eye on that flesh band going down the stalk. If that starts to recede then you know there is a problem.
Thank you for the reply. I'll continue keeping an eye on it, just seems like a really long time of not looking the best.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look at your chemistry and other parameters, I wonder if something may be disturbing it (think cleanup crew).

But overall, I don't see anything wrong with this Hammer. Hammers are relatively easy to keep and do well with lower flows and light. It looks to be healthy to me. Just be patient and monitor it.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My torch’s and hammers are always smaller leading up to, during, and after the splitting process

Once everything is complete they return to normal and are double the size. Does take a few weeks-a month

Looking at yours they are still connected and not a full Y shape yet. Just give more time

OP
OP
J

john_ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look at your chemistry and other parameters, I wonder if something may be disturbing it (think cleanup crew).

But overall, I don't see anything wrong with this Hammer. Hammers are relatively easy to keep and do well with lower flows and light. It looks to be healthy to me. Just be patient and monitor it.
Thank you. My cleanup crew only consists of Mexican Turbos, Nassarius, Trochus, Cerith, Bumblebee, and Nerite snails. Also a fighting conch. No crabs, shrimp, or anything else that would pick at a coral frag. Tank has been up for just over a year now.

OP
OP
J

john_ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch’s and hammers are always smaller leading up to, during, and after the splitting process

Once everything is complete they return to normal and are double the size. Does take a few weeks-a month

Looking at yours they are still connected and not a full Y shape yet. Just give more time
Thank you. Relieving to hear. I was just worried because it's been looking the same way for over a month, while all other frags are doing great.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back