Help! My reef tank is overrun with bubble algae!

Deltec

gabrieljoda

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(What brand/chemical treatment can I use to get rid of a bubble algae infestation, since natural methods have been unsuccessful?)

I've been battling a bubble algae infestation in my tank for a year now, and I haven't been able to get rid of it. I've tried introducing emerald crabs, but they didn't help. Manual removal was also unsuccessful since the algae has spread to hard-to-reach crevices in my tank. During my last removal attempt, I accidentally broke some of my SPS corals and almost killed my fish while doing a large water change. I've realized that natural methods won't work, and I need advice on which chemical treatments to use. I've been reading forums with mixed reviews, especially about Vibrant. Can anyone recommend a brand that has worked for them?

Some tank info:
size:
- 40 gallons (not including filters)

filters:
- (HF-M Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with Protein Skimmer) (Skimmer doesn't work & I have Chaeto in it)
- (Fluval C3 Power Filter, Fish Tank Filter for Aquariums up to 50 Gal.) (run it with carbon and GFO)

dosing:
- AB+
- Iodine
- Alkalinity
- Calcium

FrontOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
LeftSideOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
RightSideOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
TopLeftOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
TopRightOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg

stovenut

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use chemicals. There is far too much risk in using an algaecide. And uncertainty about what those products do to inverts and bivalves. Why not reduce the food source for the bubble algae and continue to manually remove here and there? Reduce your feedings or feed your fish smaller portions more often so there's less food waste. If you struggle to reduce nutrients, add chaeto and a good grow light into your sump. An algae scrubber is also an option. Or begin carbon dosing carefully. Anything but algaecides. I think using chemicals like Vibrant after all that has come out about it is a big big mistake.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filters:
- (HF-M Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with Protein Skimmer) (Skimmer doesn't work & I have Chaeto in it)
- (Fluval C3 Power Filter, Fish Tank Filter for Aquariums up to 50 Gal.) (run it with carbon and GFO)
Get better filters and a working skimmer...

Upvote 0

cooltowncorals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some more emerald or mitrix crabs because some will and some won’t eat it.

The best way I’ve found to remove algae’s or fast growing coral like pulsing Xenia is by using rubberbands wrapped around a stainless steel straw. to make a gasket and then stick that straw in a hose and then use the straw edge to scrap the rock and and suck out at same time. Using a narrow straw like this really adds to your working time helping you not rush because the water draws out slower.

I see you don’t have a sump but if you did or just wanted to do this every couples days until in check. You just need a friend or a clamp to hold a filter sock for you and run the water threw the sock into a bucket or sump. Let it catch the debris you worked off and pour your tank water right back in filtered and trash that annoying bubble algae. If you run to a sump obviously you could just go at it for 20 minutes without issue and get as much as you can.

this works for soft corals, aptasia, bubble algae, hair algae (usually need to pull a little with hands too) and the like.

if your over it you could try chemicals you have a lot of nice size colonies to risk with treatments sometimes things don’t like things. Usually things that have been tested by many work fine if you follow the directions.

if it’s not hurting anything and is back in crevices I would say don’t sweat it. Most people who look at your tank have no idea it’s a pest and most probably think it’s a cool coral.

manually remove the stuff that’s in front and ruining your view.

good luck happy reefing

68551F8F-2397-46A7-A002-361BC2256413.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gabrieljoda

gabrieljoda

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that using chaeto really helped me out, but i use a HOB refugium. Does your Chaeto have a good light with it? I also think getting a good skimmer will help.
My chaeto grows using sunlight, because I have a window directly behind my tank. I have always wondered wether or not a light would help, bc it has been just fine growing with the sunlight. I’d say I have half a basketball size if chaeto right now.

I do agree on the skimmer. I wish mine would work properly, but after a month the tubes get filled with algae. Then the filter becomes unreliable with the skimmer on. This is because the filter for some reason can’t prime itself, making it completely stop working if something goes wrong. I do try and clean it which fixes the issue, but that requires taking the whole HOB filter out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gabrieljoda

gabrieljoda

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use chemicals. There is far too much risk in using an algaecide. And uncertainty about what those products do to inverts and bivalves. Why not reduce the food source for the bubble algae and continue to manually remove here and there? Reduce your feedings or feed your fish smaller portions more often so there's less food waste. If you struggle to reduce nutrients, add chaeto and a good grow light into your sump. An algae scrubber is also an option. Or begin carbon dosing carefully. Anything but algaecides. I think using chemicals like Vibrant after all that has come out about it is a big big mistake.
I do agree, I am a firm believer in going the natural way. But I feel like the amount I have has gotten out of hand. I can’t really feed less, I only feed them once a day with frozen Reef Frenzy that’s about the size of half a pre-cut cube. To bring nutrients down I have considered a GFO reactor (rn I just have it in a pouch) or a new HOB skimmer (the problem is space). I will look into carbon dosing, never heard of it.

I have also seen in other places that trying to starve out bubble algae doesn’t work because they are more resistant than other good organisms. What do you think?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gabrieljoda

gabrieljoda

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get better filters and a working skimmer...
I wish, the main issue is space I have to work with. If anything I will try to get a GFO reactor, because I don’t have to have it directly behind the tank. I think the skimmer will work once I have the algae problem taken care of, since the issue is with the tubes getting filled up. I have it turned off because if it doesn’t work the whole filter doesn’t work. I’d rather have a reliable filter, especially because that’s where I have my ato hose connected.

Upvote 0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestion, did you use it in a mixed reef?
Yeah, hammer, frogspawn, Goni, mushrooms, birds nest, and sinularia. Started with half dose for about three doses, then ramped it up.

I'm not sure it can be controlled by low phosphate and nitrate. I'm generally below .1 and 10, and it went wild. Once it cleared I added two emerald crabs and two tuxedo urchins. Hopefully they will keep it in check if it ever comes back.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
gabrieljoda

gabrieljoda

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some more emerald or mitrix crabs because some will and some won’t eat it.

The best way I’ve found to remove algae’s or fast growing coral like pulsing Xenia is by using rubberbands wrapped around a stainless steel straw. to make a gasket and then stick that straw in a hose and then use the straw edge to scrap the rock and and suck out at same time. Using a narrow straw like this really adds to your working time helping you not rush because the water draws out slower.

I see you don’t have a sump but if you did or just wanted to do this every couples days until in check. You just need a friend or a clamp to hold a filter sock for you and run the water threw the sock into a bucket or sump. Let it catch the debris you worked off and pour your tank water right back in filtered and trash that annoying bubble algae. If you run to a sump obviously you could just go at it for 20 minutes without issue and get as much as you can.

this works for soft corals, aptasia, bubble algae, hair algae (usually need to pull a little with hands too) and the like.

if your over it you could try chemicals you have a lot of nice size colonies to risk with treatments sometimes things don’t like things. Usually things that have been tested by many work fine if you follow the directions.

if it’s not hurting anything and is back in crevices I would say don’t sweat it. Most people who look at your tank have no idea it’s a pest and most probably think it’s a cool coral.

manually remove the stuff that’s in front and ruining your view.

good luck happy reefing

View attachment 3086206
Thank you for the suggestion, I am definitely buying them!

Upvote 0
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back