Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this guy for 3 weeks (one of my first three corals ever). First two weeks everything fine, last week things are looking grim for one of the two heads.

Water added to tank in January, one fish added the end of February. Other tankmates include a dozen small snails,View attachment 3134514View attachment 3134515 a tuxedo urchin, and a fire shrimp.

Temp 77.5 - 78.0
Nitrate 0.7
Phosphate 0.07
Salinity 35
Calcium 406
Alk 7.9
Mag 1290

Nitrates went down when I moved the lone fish out, not sure if low nitrates could explain the decline.

What would an experienced reefer do? Dip the hammer in one or more treatments? Or is it a wait-and-see sort of thing?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
D

drolmaeye

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread, did the hammer make it? Looks like the flesh band receded which isn’t the best sign tbh

ETA: I accidentally double-posted the original thread and the other post (same name and time) has a more extended exchange that gives a bit more context to the summary below.

Thanks for following up. The short version, unfortunately, is that neither head made it.

More info in case others cross this thread in the future: shortly after posting the thread I dipped the coral in Seachem Reef Dip (iodine-based) for 30 minutes and moved the coral down to the sand, off to the side, in an effort to put it in a slightly lower light/flow area (although it is possible it actually had slightly more flow given the area narrows between the rocks and glass). I also moved two fish out of quarantine into the tank and fed generously to try to slowly increase nitrates. Testing and increased algae growth suggest usable nitrate levels (tests still down in the 3-4 range but going up ~ 1 ppm per week).

The first head (which had been in visible decline for almost a week) continued to go the wrong way. The second head *appeared* okay, but closer inspection showed no flesh band. Shortly after it was completely lost over a relatively short period of 2-3 days.

The rest of the tank inhabitants - two hardy fish, a fire shrimp, a tuxedo urchin, snails, and my other two little pieces of coral (micromussa and zoa) - appear to be doing well. I put a pause on all purchases while I let this play out and see how my nutrient tests go. I will likely resume both fish and coral purchases around the first of June.

Lessons learned:
1. Look at lots of Eyphylia/Fimbriaphyllia examples in the local shops to try to get a better feel for the flesh band that extends down the trunk and then make sure to only purchase pieces that have a respectable band.
2. Try to have a strategy for keeping nutrients up in case something unusual happens (e.g., low bioload in early days or if fish are moved out).
3. Avoid putting Eyphylia/Fimbriaphyllia plugs directly on the sand bed to reduce the chance of sand grain(s) getting into the polyp.
4. Open to any other constructive criticism or advice from fellow reefers.

Almost six months in and this is my first loss. Of course I am not happy about it, but overall I feel like I'm on a decent trajectory (after saying that, my tank will probably crash today while I'm at work!)

In an effort to end on a happy note, pic of my Acan (let me know if you see trouble!)
Acan-closeup.jpg

Last edited:

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan looks happy and healthy. I think you nailed it for any new hammer , frogspawn or torch purchase. New reef tanks come with a learning curve and you are accepting, learning and moving on. A lot of success is coming your way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I too totally missed this post. What is status on hammer?

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ETA: I accidentally double-posted the original thread and the other post (same name and time) has a more extended exchange that gives a bit more context to the summary below.

Thanks for following up. The short version, unfortunately, is that neither head made it.

More info in case others cross this thread in the future: shortly after posting the thread I dipped the coral in Seachem Reef Dip (iodine-based) for 30 minutes and moved the coral down to the sand, off to the side, in an effort to put it in a slightly lower light/flow area (although it is possible it actually had slightly more flow given the area narrows between the rocks and glass). I also moved two fish out of quarantine into the tank and fed generously to try to slowly increase nitrates. Testing and increased algae growth suggest usable nitrate levels (tests still down in the 3-4 range but going up ~ 1 ppm per week).

The first head (which had been in visible decline for almost a week) continued to go the wrong way. The second head *appeared* okay, but closer inspection showed no flesh band. Shortly after it was completely lost over a relatively short period of 2-3 days.

The rest of the tank inhabitants - two hardy fish, a fire shrimp, a tuxedo urchin, snails, and my other two little pieces of coral (micromussa and zoa) - appear to be doing well. I put a pause on all purchases while I let this play out and see how my nutrient tests go. I will likely resume both fish and coral purchases around the first of June.

Lessons learned:
1. Look at lots of Eyphylia/Fimbriaphyllia examples in the local shops to try to get a better feel for the flesh band that extends down the trunk and then make sure to only purchase pieces that have a respectable band.
2. Try to have a strategy for keeping nutrients up in case something unusual happens (e.g., low bioload in early days or if fish are moved out).
3. Avoid putting Eyphylia/Fimbriaphyllia plugs directly on the sand bed to reduce the chance of sand grain(s) getting into the polyp.
4. Open to any other constructive criticism or advice from fellow reefers.

Almost six months in and this is my first loss. Of course I am not happy about it, but overall I feel like I'm on a decent trajectory (after saying that, my tank will probably crash today while I'm at work!)

In an effort to end on a happy note, pic of my Acan (let me know if you see trouble!)
View attachment 3156003
Looks amazing bro, tentacles are out so maybe feed it, little piece of mysis would be okay just for the extra nutrition

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back