Help me with some Zoo's problem please!.

Robert_MID

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey to all, my name is Roberto, i'm new in this forum and i'm from Merida, Mexico. I'm writting cause since December 2006, some colonys and frags from my Zoo's begun to closed and they never open again. I don't know what's happening, but i tried FW dips, moving them to a better place, carbon activaded, water changes etc.. and nothing, not nudis not snails. The last month i passed to a good freind of mine 1 colony and 2 frags from Zoo's, being them completely closed. 1 month spend and the last Sunday he backed to me, so i came to my home and i did drip acclimation with 2 of them because the thrid frag never opened so he stayed in my freind tank. So i put the 2 Zoo's back to my tank and they opened almost inmediatly, so i say: Great both are recovered now i need to give to him the last hurted and closed frags than i still have. So the actinics lights turned off and i went to sleep, and the Monday at the morning i was taking a breakfast and i saw them still opened with the LED's moonlight. I went to the school and when i back i found them totally closed and like hurted again so i say: what the heck????? just 10 hours and they backed to the same state??????. I can't believe the fast time than they has closed again. I don't know what's happening cause i can't find the cure, cause i been trying with everything and getting no results. The most extrange or weird from all this is than i have 12 varietys of Zoo's, 8 of them are closed, almost closed or closed and hurted and the rest of them (4 varietys) are open and growing like crazy and the other corals, Tridacna and fishes are totally unafected. The only problem is with this 8 varietys of Zoo's cause they are closed since December 2006. I want today to start the Furan 2 treatment but i don't know if it could be good, cause i don't see any signs of ZoaPox on the 8 varietys of Zoo's, but what do you suggest me?. Please i request your help for finish with this problem, cause i don't want to lost them.

Here are the pictures:

dsc01414lf7.jpg

dsc01412pt3.jpg

dsc01409qx3.jpg

dsc01408pp0.jpg

So please help me with this problem, i would really aprecciate it!.
Sorry for the bad english.

Cheers!.

Top Shelf Aquatics

reefboy

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they did better in your friends system im going to tend to think you may have a fish or invert that is bothering them otherwise if this is pathnogin it would have made no dif in moving plus you would have spread it to his system.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your water parameters atm? from what i can tell from the pics... they don't seem to be infected or anything, just closed up. sometimes high salinity causes zoas to close up. if it's not livestock or irritators in your tank, the only thing i can think of that might be different from your tank and your friends are the water parameters. check ammonia, nitrate, ph etc.

and also,
welcome.jpg

OP
OP
R

Robert_MID

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer but about irritators, i only can see some big anphipods over the Zoanthids something like they are cleaning them by the dead mattery around the coral, but yesterday at night i saw with a light something like brown flexible worms like sucking the polyp or something like that maybe they are just cleaning the coral that's right?, cuase i alayas has been this animals in my tank.

BTW.- I found here a capsules called Fungurs Cure and they are too similar tu Furan 2 from Aquarium Pharmacetuicals also, these capsules could be good for treat the Zoas?. And yesterday i did a freshwater Iodine dip and when i backed them to the main tank, i saw them like up but not opening.

Cheers!.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

Robert_MID

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but if it could be some wormd or something like that i could buy a Six Line Wrasse for he eat them?. BTW the first day i bought some Zoo's of the pictures when i put them on the tank they never opened and just has been spent like 1 hour, that's the reason cause i'm thinking about some kind of infection, but what do you suggest me on the Six Line Wrasse?.

Cheers!.

OP
OP
R

Robert_MID

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah here are them.

SG: 1.022
PH: 8.0-8.2
Amonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 0.2
Calcium: 450

Otherwise i have Tridacna, Anemones, Purple Linckia, more Zoo's opening and growing like crazy unaffected and some Mushrooms Star Polyp Xenia etc... all them unaffected

Cheers!.

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... i keep my salinity around 1.026... how long were they closed up for? i had few colonies closed up as long as 2 weeks...just to open up nicely afterwards.

Nutramar Foods

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would bump up your salinity closer to natural sea water, the average salinity of the ocean is 1.025. Also what is your alk measurement? I tend to like my PH up a bit more as well between 8.2-8.4 range. If your PH is low in the 8.0 range I'm sure it might be getting lower at night when typically it drops.

na1paj

Zoanthid Nutter
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some problems with zoas closing. I used Furan2 treatment. They are slowly coming back.
i haven't had problems with low salinity before, range from 1.020~1.030

and especially if it's affecting only certain colonies, feels like either preditors or fungus rather than water problems

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't predators eventually spread to all colonies as well instead of staying in one colony? on the other hand, i've had some colonies deal with pretty crappy water, while some just quickly died out untill the water was fixed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

na1paj

Zoanthid Nutter
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 12 varietys of Zoo's, 8 of them are closed, almost closed or closed and hurted and the rest of them (4 varietys) are open and growing like crazy and the other corals

Another way you might be able to test it is put one of the closed ones in a friend's tank that's healthy and see if they come back. If they do, it might be your water problem. Else it's zoa problem.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back