Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His name is Willy. I’ve had my flasher as long as the tank has been running over a year. These symptoms have been visible for at least six months, I feel awful I haven’t addressed sooner.

this is what I know:
still eats like a pig
scratches on the rocks. Not too much but enough that I notice a few times per week
mouth open most of the time
color seems off. Almost looks scally
Not sure if this is related. has a black mark on its side. It’s had this for a year but seems it might be getting bigger.
it seems to be at the top half of the aquarium more often but still swims and hides.

I feel like I cannot get him out to quarantine without tearing apart the reef.

he is hiding right now but let me see if I can get a pic later.

no other fish have any symptoms.

i need to get a pic of his other side which has the black spot

C0519E8A-50DF-41F5-85A1-FECDBDF7455C.jpeg

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching makes me think it’s flukes. You can treat the tank with prazipro. It’s reef safe. There’s a good bit of info on it on the forums.
The scratching makes me think it’s flukes. You can treat the tank with prazipro. It’s reef safe. There’s a good bit of info on it on the forums.
I thought so to but could a fish live six months with flukes?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
His name is Willy. I’ve had my flasher as long as the tank has been running over a year. These symptoms have been visible for at least six months, I feel awful I haven’t addressed sooner.

this is what I know:
still eats like a pig
scratches on the rocks. Not too much but enough that I notice a few times per week
mouth open most of the time
color seems off. Almost looks scally
Not sure if this is related. has a black mark on its side. It’s had this for a year but seems it might be getting bigger.
it seems to be at the top half of the aquarium more often but still swims and hides.

I feel like I cannot get him out to quarantine without tearing apart the reef.

he is hiding right now but let me see if I can get a pic later.

no other fish have any symptoms.

i need to get a pic of his other side which has the black spot

View attachment 3007424
I too believe the symptoms suggest flukes and are there dots on the eyes?
Some sure signs of flukes are: rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
You can start with a 5 min freshwater dip in same temperature as display tank but often dip can be a risk but will offer the fish temporary relief.
Treat with PraziPro assuming its flukes. To be safe , dose ONCE at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too believe the symptoms suggest flukes and are there dots on the eyes?
Some sure signs of flukes are: rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
You can start with a 5 min freshwater dip in same temperature as display tank but often dip can be a risk but will offer the fish temporary relief.
Treat with PraziPro assuming its flukes. To be safe , dose ONCE at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
I bought the prazipro and air stone it will arrive on Tuesday. It’s hard to say about the eyes. They are clear. But Willy just yawned while looking at his eyes. Hopefully nothing dies on the reef during treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so to but could a fish live six months with flukes?
Flukes can (rarely) be a chronic infection, with the population rising and falling given the relative stress of the fish. I’ve had fish live with flukes for years. Fluke eggs can also come into a tank on anything wet from an infected tank - corals, CUC, etc. Have you added anything like that in the last two months?
Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can (rarely) be a chronic infection, with the population rising and falling given the relative stress of the fish. I’ve had fish live with flukes for years. Fluke eggs can also come into a tank on anything wet from an infected tank - corals, CUC, etc. Have you added anything like that in the last two months?
Jay

yes but as mentioned Willy has had these symptoms for at least six months.
tried getting a pic of the spot

DEEFE7A2-932B-4776-A8B5-9B7A8BA1BDD7.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back