Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 55 gal reef tank with a 10 gal sump under it. It needs to travel up ~4 feet. I dont know how much flow Im looking for, im quite clueless and I am also going to have a HOB overflow box, can anyone help me choose which one as well? I know some are rated for always 1000gph and some only like 200 so I do now know, please help me. I am planning on having one powerhead as well, the current usa 660 GPH wave pump. Any help would be great.

Nutramar Foods

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 55 gal reef tank with a 10 gal sump under it. It needs to travel up ~4 feet. I dont know how much flow Im looking for, im quite clueless and I am also going to have a HOB overflow box, can anyone help me choose which one as well? I know some are rated for always 1000gph and some only like 200 so I do now know, please help me. I am planning on having one powerhead as well, the current usa 660 GPH wave pump. Any help would be great.
Most people like to run anywhere from 3 x to 5 x the tank volume through the sump.
So in your case since you are planning a 10 gallon sump ( I wish I could talk you into at least a 20 gallon sump, or bigger), I would go with 3x to 4x the tank volume.
These days there are so many options when it comes to return pumps.
I used to use pumps like Sicce, Eheim, and Tunze but since the dc pumps have gotten pretty dependable, I use them more now.
You could go with a Vectra S2 and have plenty of power for future upgrades

Last edited:
Corals.com

October Sky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a Reef Octopus Varios 2 (792gph) on a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. So I figured about 50 total gallons. I would recommend this series of pumps as it's ridiculously quiet.

I don't have it on the highest flow, it at 50%.

Heres way too much information.

Also, is there a reason you want a 55 gallon tank? I ask because the dimensions are restrictive. They have good length and height, but the depth is narrow. A 75 gallon is same length with better depth, and a 40b is shorter but has more depth.

And for your other question, I run a modular marine overflow (bean animal set up). I love it, amazing craftsmanship.

misturrtinnie

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If budget is an issue, Jebao/Sicce makes decent pumps. If budget is not an issue, Varios, Ecotech, Abyss, etc.

Any reason why you're using a HOB overflow? I've flooded my floors about 3 times before I wised up and just drilled the tank. And also consider what October Sky is talking about also, the dimensions of a 55 is terrible for a reef tank, unless you're going FOWLR set up.

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a simple and reliable AC pump I would go with a Sicce Syncra 2.0 or 2.5 (oversize is better, you can always throttle it back).

I don't have experience with DC return pumps, but it seems like a lot of money for flow adjustment that can be done with a ball valve. If you are going to integrate the pump with a aquarium controller then they could have some advantages.

I agree with others, the 55 gallon is not the best geometry for a reef tank, unfortunately there are not a lot of options in that size range that are commonly available. If you have the room (in you house & wallet), the 75 gallon is a good option. I will also caution against the 47 gallon bow front, I have one and the viewing distortion from the curved glass is awful.

I would also encourage you to go with a larger sump, you wont be sorry.

I don't see an issue with the HOB overflow, provided you set it up correctly (this is related to the larger sump). I have been running a single drain HOB for over 12 years and never had a flood (knock on wood). The trick is to tune the level in the return chamber of the sump and the depth of the return nozzles in the tank so that when the pumps stops the sump can handle all of the water that back flows. Also, in the event of a blocked overflow/drain, the volume of the return chamber should be small enough that the pump will run dry before the tank overflows.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a DC pump rated for around 700gph max. Then you can easily dial down the flow to match your exact need. And so much easier than trying to adjust the ball valve if your pump is too strong.

Don't be afraid of a cheap Jebao, they serve me well. If you want to go with a brand name, there are a lot of options, a DC pump works very well.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really happy with my Simplicity 1000 and 1600 Pumps. A Simplicity 1000 should be the right match, dialed down from 100%. It will run longer and Quieter on lower settings. It has an auto restart 10 minutes feed button. All restarts are a slow ramp up. My Aquarium only came up 0.4 F, with both pumps set at 60%. Important in the summer. If you decide to hard PVC Pipe it, the fitting is a BSPT, “British Standard Pipe Thread” The only place I could find the PVC Adapter was on McMaster-Carr. BTW, It will easily pay for itself in Six to Eight Months in Energy Savings, over an AC Pump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sicce 3.0 will be ideal

Top Shelf Aquatics

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people like to run anywhere from 3 x to 5 x the tank volume through the sump.
So in your case since you are planning a 10 gallon sump ( I wish I could talk you into at least a 20 gallon sump, or bigger), I would go with 3x to 4x the tank volume.
These days there are so many options when it comes to return pumps.
I used to use pumps like Sicce, Eheim, and Tunze but since the dc pumps have gotten pretty dependable, I use them more now.
You could go with a Vectra S2 and have plenty of power for future upgrades
This is good advice you should go for a bigger sump a 10 gallon is going to leave you very little space for equipment not to mention run off from DT when power shuts off!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the current usa 660 GPH wave pump
You need a much larger powerhead than this and usually two of them. Budget matters, but the lowest price one I would still use would be jebao pumps. 2x jebao slw 20 are not a bad option but jebao is a lower quality brand in general (current usa isnt really any better, better customer service though)
I am also going to have a HOB overflow box
If you are just setting up a tank have it drilled. Either you can do it or have any glass cutter business drill the holes for you for cheap. It is so worth it to have a drilled tank over a non drilled tank with hob overflow. Noise is better and there are less things that can fail, if an overflow box does fail it can mean dumping gallons upon gallons of water onto your floors. Depending on floor type could mean having to replace them and costing you a lot of money

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...If you are just setting up a tank have it drilled. Either you can do it or have any glass cutter business drill the holes for you for cheap. It is so worth it to have a drilled tank over a non drilled tank with hob overflow. Noise is better and there are less things that can fail, if an overflow box does fail it can mean dumping gallons upon gallons of water onto your floors. Depending on floor type could mean having to replace them and costing you a lot of money
I agree drilled is better, but keep in mind that nearly all 55 gallons have tempered glass bottoms, some have other panels tempered as well. Drilling may not be an option.

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For HOB overflow I would absolutely look at the Lifereef box. I ran one on my 75 gallon when I got back into the hobby it’s well made and more importantly it won’t lose siphon !
Agreed, the HOBs with the round siphon tubes (like Lifereef/Eshopps) are best type. Do not use a HOB that requires a pump to remove air from the siphon.

OP
OP
ReedLem

ReedLem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all so great, thank you so much for your great advice, unfortuantly my tank is tempered glass but I would have definitely gotten it drilled otherwise. I did get a round siphon tube HOB overflow, the Eshopps overflow box. I got a return pump i've heard good things about and just wanted to test it out to see how it flows with the water. I can not fit a sump larger than the 10 gallon due to the tank stand size, it is quite narrow and wouldnt hold a 20 long. I know for my first build it wont be the greatest but it is for sure something I can use to learn with. I will also get a larger tank for my next build, I never thought of the 55 being too small but I do come from freshwater so this is possibly why because I have well planted 55 tanks with a great ecological cycles. P.S. the next tank will be getting drilled lol.

OP
OP
ReedLem

ReedLem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a much larger powerhead than this and usually two of them. Budget matters, but the lowest price one I would still use would be jebao pumps. 2x jebao slw 20 are not a bad option but jebao is a lower quality brand in general (current usa isnt really any better, better customer service though)

If you are just setting up a tank have it drilled. Either you can do it or have any glass cutter business drill the holes for you for cheap. It is so worth it to have a drilled tank over a non drilled tank with hob overflow. Noise is better and there are less things that can fail, if an overflow box does fail it can mean dumping gallons upon gallons of water onto your floors. Depending on floor type could mean having to replace them and costing you a lot of money
I will for sure be using this and getting that powerhead, thank you for your advice because I know flow is important.

OP
OP
ReedLem

ReedLem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really happy with my Simplicity 1000 and 1600 Pumps. A Simplicity 1000 should be the right match, dialed down from 100%. It will run longer and Quieter on lower settings. It has an auto restart 10 minutes feed button. All restarts are a slow ramp up. My Aquarium only came up 0.4 F, with both pumps set at 60%. Important in the summer. If you decide to hard PVC Pipe it, the fitting is a BSPT, “British Standard Pipe Thread” The only place I could find the PVC Adapter was on McMaster-Carr. BTW, It will easily pay for itself in Six to Eight Months in Energy Savings, over an AC Pump.
If the return pump I got fails, I will go for this one, thank you.

OP
OP
ReedLem

ReedLem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is an issue, Jebao/Sicce makes decent pumps. If budget is not an issue, Varios, Ecotech, Abyss, etc.

Any reason why you're using a HOB overflow? I've flooded my floors about 3 times before I wised up and just drilled the tank. And also consider what October Sky is talking about also, the dimensions of a 55 is terrible for a reef tank, unless you're going FOWLR set up.
tempered glass, but I have done extra research on HOB and will be taking extra percautions, like if an outage, making sure there isnt too much water tank to not flood and also keep any other tips I have heard from other people.

Corals.com

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have an fully running coral tank, I would pull the 55 gallon tank and drill the new one, I went down the road with a Life Reef Overflow, you have some really experienced people giving you advice and I would read each carefully and ask questions if you do not understand something.
The direction you start goes a long way in getting where you want to go.

Or
I would take a hard look at IM Lagoon tanks with a rear chamber no sump. Even with he years I was in the hobby I did the opposite and got the one with a sump, so 200 for the sump, 100 for the return pump, 140 for the skimmer, 100 for a used ATO container.
You can buy the tank with savings.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all so great, thank you so much for your great advice, unfortuantly my tank is tempered glass but I would have definitely gotten it drilled otherwise. I did get a round siphon tube HOB overflow, the Eshopps overflow box. I got a return pump i've heard good things about and just wanted to test it out to see how it flows with the water. I can not fit a sump larger than the 10 gallon due to the tank stand size, it is quite narrow and wouldnt hold a 20 long. I know for my first build it wont be the greatest but it is for sure something I can use to learn with. I will also get a larger tank for my next build, I never thought of the 55 being too small but I do come from freshwater so this is possibly why because I have well planted 55 tanks with a great ecological cycles. P.S. the next tank will be getting drilled lol.
Your 55 Will work just fine, the issue is for 50 pounds of rock you will need has to be stacked touching the back glass causing an issue with gunk build up and flow that will be hard to clean. I ran a 65, same foot print just taller. Your choice of fish will be limited. I think you will be happier if you use hang on the back equipment for now and save the sump for when you get hooked and upgrade to a bigger tank! Trust me in a year you will be chomping at the bit for a larger drilled tank

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back