Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just did a water test and noticed my nitrates spiked. I usually keep them under 20 but I tested tonight and they were at 27. I have a pack of my first acropora frags coming next week and I want my tank to be back under 20 nitrates when they come in. I was wondering what is the best way to lower nitrates. I haven’t changed my feeding habits or anything so I don’t know what caused the spike.
1.025 salinity
Phos .09
Nitrate 27.3
Alk 8.6
Mag 1350
Calcium 440

World Wide Corals
Nutramar Foods

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only thing is if they go back up again I don’t want to keep doing 25% water changes every week. Going to do one this week tho because of the frags coming in soon

If they go back up, your imports and exports aren't balanced. Fix the imbalance, export more or import less. Tons of ways to accomplish that.

Plenty of the most beautiful SPS tanks run 20+ nitrates though, it's not a death sentence.

melonheadorion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is not a magical way to reduce nitrates. the number 1 option will be to do water changes. water changes will only remove small amounts overall, so it would come down to doing multiple in a week, or a very large water change.
other than that, you can carbon dose, but you need a skimmer/sump for that., if you dont already.
A refugium or some other sort of algae reactor would be another option.
as JCM mentioned, 20+ nitrates arent horrible. its not ideal, but i wouldnt lose sleep over it.

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change will directly reduce nitates. 25% wc will reduce nitrate from 27 to 20 ppm. Either level is ok. If you plan to continue water changes, try to make sure your salt mix is close to your tank water params to minimize swings when you do a wc.

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they go back up, your imports and exports aren't balanced. Fix the imbalance, export more or import less. Tons of ways to accomplish that.

Plenty of the most beautiful SPS tanks run 20+ nitrates though, it's not a death sentence.
Ok thank you for reassuring me that 20+ isn’t crazy ik that I heard wwc runs theirs around 20 so it can’t be that bad

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change will directly reduce nitates. 25% wc will reduce nitrate from 27 to 20 ppm. Either level is ok. If you plan to continue water changes, try to make sure your salt mix is close to your tank water params to minimize swings when you do a wc.
Ok sounds good I was trying 20% every 2 weeks instead of 10 every week but I’m going back to 10 now for the stability

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
B

brycenelson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is not a magical way to reduce nitrates. the number 1 option will be to do water changes. water changes will only remove small amounts overall, so it would come down to doing multiple in a week, or a very large water change.
other than that, you can carbon dose, but you need a skimmer/sump for that., if you dont already.
A refugium or some other sort of algae reactor would be another option.
as JCM mentioned, 20+ nitrates arent horrible. its not ideal, but i wouldnt lose sleep over it.
Ok thank you for the reassurance

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back