Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help with high nitrates but low phosphate. My tank is around 2.5 years old and around 120 total gallons in my system. My nitrates are 50-60ppm (Hanna checker) and phos around .02 (Hanna checker) everything in the tank is fine, no algae outbreaks or anything but I would like to slowly decrease nitrates if I can to a safer range. My filtration currently is a skimmer, ATS (clear water 50) Thieling roller mat, and a small amount of carbon in a reactor. I do auto daily water changes and change around 2 gallons a day. I don't want to do anything fast as the tank is ok now but looking for any tips on slowly lowering nitrates with out zeroing out the phos. Let me know what you guys think. Quick pic with no filter to show off!
PXL_20220918_174713358.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Duffer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pox worked for me, but go slow with no pox…I also have been very successful with vodka dosing

beaware no matter if you choice either of thes it will take time..neither will correct overnight. Water changes are also a good thing

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is so beautiful; I wouldn’t touch a thing!

If you are dead-set on lowering the nitrates: water changes are the way to go.

You’ll get the benefit of reduced nitrates, plus many people notice their corals puffier and in much better health when increasing the amount they do, probably because of organic/tannin removal + trace elements additions.

IL-Reef-A4

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks great!!!

It is hard to believe the nitrates are that high. Have you been getting regular readings that high or is this a new checker? I would think in that range you might have some inverts die off due to high nitrate. Do you use frozen food or dry pellets/mix? With a 2-gallon a day water change I would think you would dwindle that NO3 amount down over time.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been slowly rising over the past few months. I probably don't test as much as should. I plan to send out a ICP test but I use triton and they don't test for nitrates on the standard ICP. I'm going to try and dig up my old red sea kit and test with that to verify. I feed a mix of a bunch of pellets and greens on a auto feeder twice a day but just reduced to once a day. I feed frozen randomly as well but not regularly. My tank seems healthy but I feel if I could lower the nitrate a little bit I may get some better growth and over all healthier corals. Thank you for all the replies.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is so beautiful; I wouldn’t touch a thing!

If you are dead-set on lowering the nitrates: water changes are the way to go.

You’ll get the benefit of reduced nitrates, plus many people notice their corals puffier and in much better health when increasing the amount they do, probably because of organic/tannin removal + trace elements additions.
Thank you! I do automatic daily water changes, around 2 gals a day. So 14gal week which is around 13% total volume a week. Maybe I should up that a little bit?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, growing macroalgae, and organic carbon dosing are good options for lowering nitrate. :)

Neoma369

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help with high nitrates but low phosphate. My tank is around 2.5 years old and around 120 total gallons in my system. My nitrates are 50-60ppm (Hanna checker) and phos around .02 (Hanna checker) everything in the tank is fine, no algae outbreaks or anything but I would like to slowly decrease nitrates if I can to a safer range. My filtration currently is a skimmer, ATS (clear water 50) Thieling roller mat, and a small amount of carbon in a reactor. I do auto daily water changes and change around 2 gallons a day. I don't want to do anything fast as the tank is ok now but looking for any tips on slowly lowering nitrates with out zeroing out the phos. Let me know what you guys think. Quick pic with no filter to show off!View attachment 2891618
You might add some clove polyps? I know they seem to lower No3

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back