Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

No3: 10
Po4: 0.04

I’ve has this algae pop up in my new tank, 2 months old. Used live rock that was cooked in a bucket for 2 months. CUC is 1 stromb, 1 nassarius, 1 lawnmower blenny, 2x trochus, 2x astrea, 1 CBS, 3x turbo snails

it appears on the rock, and also on the sand which clumps the sand together. It’s brownish coloured, scrubs off super easy, doesn’t hold oxygen bubbles. I can get a microscope ID soonish if truly needed. I just scrub it every few days, snails do slowly eat it, but veryyy slowly.

would an urchin help perhaps?

more does anyone know what this could specifically be?

672B5FDD-F403-49EB-879C-0ECDCA7B668E.jpeg FF53EF79-F12B-421C-8DC7-28E27425EE7B.jpeg 2ADA2CB1-6E45-415D-97F2-FFB5A1E6E6C1.jpeg 4C7981F6-075C-4260-9B98-E9CA7FD08E7D.jpeg

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics

I never finish anythi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hair algae that was more of a brown colour. I got a few mexican turbos , sea hare and urchin. Got my nutrients in check and it's gone . Don't think a sea hare be good for that tank tho looks quite new .

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the tank will go through various ugly stages being that new .o
Yeah I understand that, just want to avoid severe ugly stuff. Working on increasing my micro biodiversity, gonna dose phyto n add pods, also adding micro brittle stars n stomatellas.
I had hair algae that was more of a brown colour. I got a few mexican turbos , sea hare and urchin. Got my nutrients in check and it's gone . Don't think a sea hare be good for that tank tho looks quite new .
It’s only a Waterbox 20, would an urchin be suitable?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ConsummatePro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is pretty new be careful of not starving the clean up crew. Urchins need quite a bit of algae to munch on - you could feed them nori but that adds nutrients. Starfish need stuff to graze on in the sand bed too so beware. Blenny could starve, too, in a very young tank.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is pretty new be careful of not starving the clean up crew. Urchins need quite a bit of algae to munch on - you could feed them nori but that adds nutrients. Starfish need stuff to graze on in the sand bed too so beware. Blenny could starve, too, in a very young tank.
I figured micro brittle stars would be a safer bet for a young tank, the blenny n snails poo a LOT, the sandbed is full of stuff. I’m going to pass on the urchin for a while, and I supplement the blenny with pellets so he eats plenty, has a little fat belly.

Did some research on the urchin, don’t want it to starve, will get one at around the 8month mark I think

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m picking up some more snails in a week or so, should do the trick then. Mixture of turbos stomatellas and doves
Nassarius snails are good for turning over your sand bed . You won’t see them much but when you feed your fish they come out of the sand . I have some they are great cuc

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are good for turning over your sand bed . You won’t see them much but when you feed your fish they come out of the sand . I have some they are great cuc
I’m got one nassarius so far who is awesome. I thought he died for ages, then he reappeared randomly when feeding, I see his snorkel usually at night sometimes. I think getting maybe one or two more would be a good ideal, it’s only a 20g so anymore than that might be too mant

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back