View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I have a Redsea reefer 200XL, and i have been having some issues with dialing
my flow. I currently have a Maxspect Jump Gyre 2K flow pump, running on the alternating gyre mode.
Currently the pump is too strong at some points, blowing my sand, and I still have some dead spots all over the aquarium.
I would love some input as to where and how to set up the gyre, or if I should additional equipment.

PXL_20221130_175727903.jpg

I currently have it in the back right corner, with one side pumping water to the left and one side to the front.
Before I had it on the right side of the aquarium, pumping water to the left, and it blew all my sand in the left side, and left dead spots on the right.

Thank you for any feedback !

** The right and left sides of the tank -
PXL_20221130_175806608.jpg
PXL_20221130_175741446.jpg

OP
OP
The_Shrimper

The_Shrimper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried placing it horizontal instead of vertical yet? That will maybe help, I think they're usually mounted horizontal? Mounting it left to right, instead of up and down.
I have tried to place it vertically on the right side, but it blew all my sand to the left of the big rock, and on the right side I had cyno build up on the sand from the lack of flow.

Nutramar Foods

Rennurdoar

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tried to place it vertically on the right side, but it blew all my sand to the left of the big rock, and on the right side I had cyno build up on the sand from the lack of flow.
Yes, but try to mount it horizontal if you can. That will also give you more surface agitation and help with gas exchange/oxygen. It looks like you have no surface agitation in the pictures. You don't want your water to be smooth like glass, it's better to have movement is my understanding.

OP
OP
The_Shrimper

The_Shrimper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but try to mount it horizontal if you can. That will also give you more surface agitation and help with gas exchange/oxygen. It looks like you have no surface agitation in the pictures. You don't want your water to be smooth like glass, it's better to have movement is my understanding.
Oh oops I completely mixed my words. I tried it horizontally.
Thanks for the advice though!

Pearse73

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and gyre pump. I placed my gyre horizontally set on random (30%-80%) and paired it with a RFG return nozzle instead of the one that came with the tank. Torches, goniopora and alveopora enjoy the randomness. SPS were fine with the set up too until a zinc contamination wiped them out.
The only thing that moves my sand are my conch and tiger pistol shrimp.
May not suit your set up but maybe food for thought.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
The_Shrimper

The_Shrimper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and gyre pump. I placed my gyre horizontally set on random (30%-80%) and paired it with a RFG return nozzle instead of the one that came with the tank. Torches, goniopora and alveopora enjoy the randomness. SPS were fine with the set up too until a zinc contamination wiped them out.
The only thing that moves my sand are my conch and tiger pistol shrimp.
May not suit your set up but maybe food for thought.
Thank you! I'll give it a try!
Was the flow enough to prevent debris build up?

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back