HELP! CLOWNFISH TROUBLE!

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had an issue with the male clownfish in their clownfish pair turning female? I'm not 100% sure that is what is happening but it seems like it to me. There used to be a pretty big size difference between the two and one being a bit lighter orange than the other. however, I've noticed recently that the smaller clown is now the same size as the other one and I've noticed them getting more violent taking nips out of each other every now and again. I've also noticed them locking eyes before they bite each other and doing some kind of weird shaking with their body's before they attack. I've had the pair of clowns together now for 8 almost 9 months? Can anyone advise what this is? if my male is becoming female? and if so I'm sure they will kill each other so should I just get rid of one and try to pair it again with a new clown or would I now have to get rid of both of them and start fresh with a new pair of clowns? also if this is happening where the male is turning female what caused this? is there something I can do in the future to prevent this from ever happening again?

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get pics? The shaking or dancing can be a mating dance clowns are known to do that. Did you get them same size or different size?

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get pics? The shaking or dancing can be a mating dance clowns are known to do that. Did you get them same size or different size?
I'm at work now and will post a vid soon. I purchased them as a paired set. when i got them the darker orange one was like twice the size of the smaller one and they maintained that size difference ever since I've had them except for the last few weeks the smaller one has now grown to the same size. its been 9 months now they've been together no issues. I thought the dancing could be a mating thing but they both are doing it and then just attack each other immediately after??

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt it.
What would cause the smaller one to grow so much more so much faster than normal and why would both of the clowns start showing aggression and doing the shake to show dominance if they have been together for so long with no other issues? do you have any advise?

Dbichler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns reach sexual maturity around a year and a half what size are they. Chances are you still had two males and the smaller one just is a more dominant personality and will become the female in short order. My 2 clowns are going on 10 years old the male is still only 1.5-2 “ and female is close to 3.5-4”

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put them in together as both small ones lost likely male? If so it's only been 8-9 months so they are going to figure out whos going to transition now. I always like to get a transitioned female before adding a male. I hate watching fish fight. And sometimes you end up with one.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work now and will post a vid soon. I purchased them as a paired set. when i got them the darker orange one was like twice the size of the smaller one and they maintained that size difference ever since I've had them except for the last few weeks the smaller one has now grown to the same size. its been 9 months now they've been together no issues. I thought the dancing could be a mating thing but they both are doing it and then just attack each other immediately after??
Sounds like a good Saturday night at my house

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back