Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to finally take the plunge and upgrade my skimmer , very limited sump space. I'm mostly looking at icecap eitherthe k2 160, or the k2 200. I just dont want to go way to big for my current system.
I was considering a skimz monster 163, but from reading reviews they're customer service isn't great.
Tank information :
90 gallon med heavy stock mixed reef
30 gallon sump/frag/refugium (upgrading to a 40 or 50 gallon soon)
Max available space 9 x 10-11 and about 32 inches clearance (maybe a little more for height and removal of the skimmer cup.

I'm looking to upgrade this system in the next year or so .
I'm also wondering about an auto delay timer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
serenade

serenade

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question really is for currently a 130 gallon medium heavy stocked mixed reef, do I need a delay timer?
And more importantly should I go with the icecap k2-160 or the icecap k2-200?
Or are there any other skimmers that can fit in the space I have that have decent customer service ?

billwill

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tight space. The beauty of the skimz is that the outlet is a gate that takes zero space. Nobody else does that. I've got the 161 on a heavy sps 90g and it's perfect. My pump died three years in, and I replaced it with a sicce psk1000. I wouldn't be that worried about customer service if you by from brs or any other reputable shop.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Rpujol85

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about Skimz customer service as I bought mine second hand. The dc pump went out on mine and I have the "new and improved" pump en route. I'll let you know how it goes once I get it running. Other than the pump dying, I really like the skimmer.

The ice caps are a very attractive alternative though. I say if you don't care to have a DC pump try out the icecap.

OP
OP
serenade

serenade

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was trying to decide , the icecap uses a gate valve as well which is the beauty of having a bigger skimmer in a smaller space .

I'm trying to decide also if going much bigger is going to be an issue? I just know once my husband and I move I'll be upgrading systems. Are there any known problems from going overkill with a skimmer or would I need to dose more often?
Lots of questions because I've usually bought used complete systems so haven't needed to buy in sump skimmer before .

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

World Wide Corals
Back