Help: Banggai Cardinal Short Fins Overnight

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banggai cardinal that I've had for 5 days changed over night. Yesterday it's tail fins looked fine, but today they are short and look damaged. I haven't seen any of the other tank inhabitants messing with it. It is still swimming and eating, but I'm a bit concerned.

The other one I bought on the same day died within 48 hours of bringing it home, so I'm a little paranoid already.

I have a picture of two days ago vs today and you can definitely see how much shorter the fins are. I also noticed the other fins are more squished towards the body.

What causes this, how can I help, and how long does it take to heal?

20240805_000949.jpg 20240807_124012.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it went to the barbershop last night? I wonder what might be nipping at this fishes fins?

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it went to the barbershop last night? I wonder what might be nipping at this fishes fins?
I have a 6 lined wrasse and two clowns, plus hermits, snails, and a candy pistol shrimp (and maybe a yasha goby too, but he hasn't been spotted in a few weeks). 6 lined wrasses have a reputation for being agressive but mine has never had issues even with newly added fish. My clowns aren't usually agressive either, and the banggai doesn't even go anywhere near their anemone because the flow is way too strong on that side of the tank for it. In other words, I have no idea what might be nipping.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will the fins grow back or no? I've had other species recover from slightly less dramatic fin injuries so I'm hoping it will heal.

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will the fins grow back or no? I've had other species recover from slightly less dramatic fin injuries so I'm hoping it will heal.
It will heal. had one that had a wave maker accident and he is okay now.
I have a 6 lined wrasse and two clowns, plus hermits, snails, and a candy pistol shrimp (and maybe a yasha goby too, but he hasn't been spotted in a few weeks). 6 lined wrasses have a reputation for being agressive but mine has never had issues even with newly added fish. My clowns aren't usually agressive either, and the banggai doesn't even go anywhere near their anemone because the flow is way too strong on that side of the tank for it. In other words, I have no idea what might be nipping.
When did you add the six line? Was it before or after you added the cardinal?

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you add the six line? Was it before or after you added the cardinal?
I added it before. I know they have a bad reputation, but I've added multiple other fish and shrimp since adding him with no issues and I haven't seen him nipping the banggai at all. He also buries himself overnight, and the banggai lost his fins while the light was off.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the second banggai was found dead this morning with more extensive fin damage all the way down to the actual bones. I'm going to rehome the 6 line wrasse to another tank, since he is the only suspect and was a bit too active for my 20 cube anyways. I want to get another pair of banggais because I think they look really cool and I like the way they swim. If the wrasse was the culprit, hopefully I'll have better luck this time around. Maybe I'll pick up a new tiny 6 line once the cardinals are settled since it was a really cool fish and was great at eating bristle worms and flat worms.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back