Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all so it’s been a while and my coral either opens a little bit or retract all the Way it never opens all the way. I’m using the nicrew 150w light at 5 percent white and 20 percent blue. It is 10 inches from water bed and I also have a glass lid on top. Please help I don’t know if it’s too little light or too much I tried renting a par meter but my lfs doesn’t have one. My torch would retract all the way during the night and then it’ll open slowly but never all the way maybe like a tiny bit where it gets a little fatter that’s it. Toadstool isn’t coming out either. So I don’t know if it’s too little light or still too much light

my water perimeter are

Ph 8.1

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Calcium 480

Phosphate .00

Alkalinity 8.4

Magnesium 1470

temperature 78 degrees

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

World Wide Corals

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally euphyllia will try to extend as far as they can reach if they need more light. Pictures do look pretty light dim though.

How old is your tank? That light is not full spectrum with red, green, uv, etc.... you are running very low blue intensity which is an important coral light color. How deep is the tank and how high is the light mounted.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hawkaholic

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity. Is a consideration as well. They don’t like fluctuations. Assuming that’s not the issue -

I run radions at close to 50% power. I’m unfamiliar with your lights, but when I accidentally had them set too low for several months my corals looked like yours. Try raising the light intensity slowly, say 1% a day for a week or two then re-evaluate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see this as light deficiency. Torch requires medium intensity with PAR 250-275 minimum and moderate0medium flow. Feedings of food such as Mysis is a must and for skeletal health they need calcium no less than 380. Too little light will cause them to shrink and too much light will cause them to expel Zooxanthellae which is their color and energy source.
Assure phosphate and even Nitrate are not elevated as I suspect false readings and a newer tank ?
If using Api kits, I encourage you to take
a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.

OP
OP
T

Tubby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this as light deficiency. Torch requires medium intensity with PAR 250-275 minimum and moderate0medium flow. Feedings of food such as Mysis is a must and for skeletal health they need calcium no less than 380. Too little light will cause them to shrink and too much light will cause them to expel Zooxanthellae which is their color and energy source.
Assure phosphate and even Nitrate are not elevated as I suspect false readings and a newer tank ?
a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.
So prior to this reading I did at home I brought my water to my lfs who has a Hanna reader and it was not far off and ammonia and nitrates was the same. Ammonia was 0. So maybe it’s a light deficiency you think?

AS
OP
OP
T

Tubby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally euphyllia will try to extend as far as they can reach if they need more light. Pictures do look pretty light dim though.

How old is your tank? That light is not full spectrum with red, green, uv, etc.... you are running very low blue intensity which is an important coral light color. How deep is the tank and how high is the light mounted.
The light is mounted 11 inch from the water bed. The tank is 18 deep so I would say 29 inch high? Salinity is 10.26 Right now has always been 1.026 no real crazy swings the tank is 8 months old till this date about

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So prior to this reading I did at home I brought my water to my lfs who has a Hanna reader and it was not far off and ammonia and nitrates was the same. Ammonia was 0. So maybe it’s a light deficiency you think?
Glad to hear on test results
I highly suspect light as the issue

OP
OP
T

Tubby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the same exact light. It's not perfect but it's good for the price. Raise up the percent like 5% a day. The controller is good but only does 5% increments.
Hello How high is your light fixture? What are the percentage you use? Maybe I can try to gauge off of that.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is mounted 11 inch from the water bed. The tank is 18 deep so I would say 29 inch high? Salinity is 10.26 Right now has always been 1.026 no real crazy swings the tank is 8 months old till this date about
Yes, it appears to be light intensity issue. Raise blue but go minimal with white. It causes algae and is primarily for viewing pleasure. Corals don't need white. 1 or 2% per day increases.

Try the photone app with your phone. It is fairly accurate and can give you par number right at the water surface.

xxjamesjohnxx1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello How high is your light fixture? What are the percentage you use? Maybe I can try to gauge off of that.
Probably about 8 inches give or take. I'm running a small 10 gallon nano. I got a small zoanthid that is opening very nicely and has a pretty orange tint to it. I've had it about a week and I got it from Petco. I'm working on trying to stabilize the light too. Everyday I mess with it and see how the coral responds

Attachments

• 1679160330207580370104446925398.jpg
    1679160330207580370104446925398.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 9

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m wondering if the glass lid plays a big role too.
They will filter light a little as i only use glass lids but I compensate with a little higher PAR.

Top Shelf Aquatics

xxjamesjohnxx1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it appears to be light intensity issue. Raise blue but go minimal with white. It causes algae and is primarily for viewing pleasure. Corals don't need white. 1 or 2% per day increases.

Try the photone app with your phone. It is fairly accurate and can give you par number right at the water surface.
Got a question about that app. If the par is 380 at the surface what would it be 12 inches below that.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question about that app. If the par is 380 at the surface what would it be 12 inches below that.
Probably 100 or 125 I'm guessing. Some people put their phone in zip lock bag and measure underwater too.

I tested the app versus a par meter and it was ballpark accurate.

OP
OP
T

Tubby

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't thank of that lol. Thanks I'll try that
Yooo so I used that app and it freaking worked man! I put it in a zip lock bag tape a printer paper over the front of the camera for diffuser it read the par exactly!

Attachments

• IMG_7572.MOV
    4.9 MB

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back