Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my heater has failed me for the second time - i dont remember what heater it is (threw away the box and the heater doesnt have the brand on it), but it was recommended to me by my lfs.
The first time it failed me, i opened up my sump and the water was at 63 degrees farenheit and the heater wasnt heating. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket to test it and it didnt heat it at all. I tried lots of other things, but i was getting worried for my fish and coral's lives so i just bought the same heater again.
Second time - a few days ago - this same heater did the same thing. It just wont heat anything. Each time this happens its still turned on - the controller is blinking and all that, and no it isnt disconnected or exposed out of the water for it to burn.
I am getting sick and tired of this stupid heater. I already spent $160 total on both of these, and each time its just a waste of money.
Instead of spending another $80 on the same heater, I want to find a replacement, new heater.
I have a budget of $100, preferably less than $75, but honestly ill take pretty much anything so i dont have to pay any more when it breaks.
My tank is a 80 gallon (including sump volume).
Thank you guys. Id prefer a heater i can buy directly on amazon (parents are too busy to drive me to the lfs for a heater, and brs or whatever will have long shipping times as they have had in the past). Amazon would be best because obviously i need this heater asap or my fish will die. They are already acting strangely and tired. Ive lost a snail or two as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. Think this heater has enough watts? It doesnt say what size tank its for but the 300W says for tanks 150-250 gallons.
think 250 too big , maybe try 2 200's or two 150's even??
use both ,set one 2 degrees lower for redundancies

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think 250 too big , maybe try 2 200's or two 150's even??
use both ,set one 2 degrees lower for redundancies
Cool thats a good idea ill use 2 of the 150's. Thank you!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s already been said. Definitely 2 heaters. My eheims are going on 2 years now. I go back and forth between changing them out as a preventative measure but since I put an InkBird on them I’ll just wait for failure (but have a couple of new ones at home just in case).

Also, if funds allow, buy a 3rd one as backup and put it in the closet.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SNIP

Also, if funds allow, buy a 3rd one as backup and put it in the closet.
I have titanium heaters in 3 tanks but keep these for just in case emergencies ;) 20230204_185615.jpg

This eheim was in service for over 8 years and still works but has been put out to pasture in my mixing station.
20230204_190013.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So my heater has failed me for the second time - i dont remember what heater it is (threw away the box and the heater doesnt have the brand on it), but it was recommended to me by my lfs.
The first time it failed me, i opened up my sump and the water was at 63 degrees farenheit and the heater wasnt heating. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket to test it and it didnt heat it at all. I tried lots of other things, but i was getting worried for my fish and coral's lives so i just bought the same heater again.
Second time - a few days ago - this same heater did the same thing. It just wont heat anything. Each time this happens its still turned on - the controller is blinking and all that, and no it isnt disconnected or exposed out of the water for it to burn.
I am getting sick and tired of this stupid heater. I already spent $160 total on both of these, and each time its just a waste of money.
Instead of spending another $80 on the same heater, I want to find a replacement, new heater.
I have a budget of $100, preferably less than $75, but honestly ill take pretty much anything so i dont have to pay any more when it breaks.
My tank is a 80 gallon (including sump volume).
Thank you guys. Id prefer a heater i can buy directly on amazon (parents are too busy to drive me to the lfs for a heater, and brs or whatever will have long shipping times as they have had in the past). Amazon would be best because obviously i need this heater asap or my fish will die. They are already acting strangely and tired. Ive lost a snail or two as well.
Titanium all the way and Finnex or Via Aqua brand

Top Shelf Aquatics

neo1738

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird w 2 heaters 1/2 the amount to the full amount you think you need. Remote alerts and if one dies you have something. I use a 600 and 300w heater in my 100g w Inkbird which turns it off/on w an outlet. You want outlet control so it doesn't get stuck in the on position (if it does the outlet shuts off).

Top Shelf Aquatics

El Reeflero

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also suggest using an Inkbird controller regardless of the heater you choose. Not too expensive and works extremely well! I once had a runaway heater crash my tank. I'll never run another tank without an Inkbird or something like it. Using one now!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back