Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 90 lbs of rock I want to bleach. I live in New England so I’ll need to heat the water to do it outside this time of year. I also want to add some flow to circulate the heater water so none of it freezes. Would the heater, air stone, and power head be ok in diluted bleached water for a week or so?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 90 lbs of rock I want to bleach. I live in New England so I’ll need to heat the water to do it outside this time of year. I also want to add some flow to circulate the heater water so none of it freezes. Would the heater, air stone, and power head be ok in diluted bleached water for a week or so?
Depends on the concentration of bleach, it can cause seals to crack and fail, corrode metal, etc.

It really doesn't take much bleach to accomplish your task. Maybe add small amounts every few days to keep the concentration up.

OP
OP
kelleymc

kelleymc

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m doing about 10:1. I’ll try just the air stones and see if they create enough turbulence to keep the water from freezing. The nights will drop below freezing, but not bitter cold.

Nutramar Foods

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m doing about 10:1. I’ll try just the air stones and see if they create enough turbulence to keep the water from freezing. The nights will drop below freezing, but not bitter cold.
I have a koi pond and run just an air stone in the winter. While it does freeze over some the air stone keeps it from freezing completely. It was -20 a few weeks ago, kept a basket ball size hole open.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chlorine will dissipate within 24 hours. May as well just soak in 5:1 to 10:1 solution for a few hours and then rinse. "A week or so" is pointless.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back