Have you ever had a big success come out of a big heartbreak in reefing?

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday, friends! This hobby can have you on the highest mountains, or in the lowest valleys. Some say it's therapy, I think it's more along the lines of emotional abuse. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

My tank has been on the struggle bus recently (I call it the ugly stage to help myself feel better:face-with-tears-of-joy:) and it's got me a little down. I'm sure lots of us have experienced this at some point. I want to hear some redemption stories!

Have you ever had success after a heartbreak in reefing?

Sad Cry Baby GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success after many failures. Not because of the failures but in spite of them.
As long as you persevere good things will come. It's only those that quit when the going gets tough that miss out on the true joys of a reef tank. Stay the course and you'll see the rainbow ;)

EDIT: sorry you wanted redemption stories. My worst was velvet in a 180g tank with fish that had been with me over 6 years. I had decided to just let them all die and then get rid of the tank. My Gal and Daughter shamed me into attempting to save the fish. Not wanting to disappointed them and look like a quiter I set up a stock tank, treated the fish and ran the display fallow. I lost a lot of fish but also saved some.

The naso, purple and hippo are three that I saved and recently got to move into my new tank
PXL_20240616_160531776.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my 3rd main setup, and honestly I’ve gone through so many ups and downs with my main displays but this one is so far succeeding!
Just a quick side on view.
IMG_1466.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no failures if you learn from mishaps. I’d like to say that bad things stop happening after a while, but that’s not true. I’ve had algae, cyano, dinos, death, and lots and lots of money loss. But that’s all part of reefing, and your reflexes to mitigate them get better in time.

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank shut down because I left for a weekend and the my roommate didn't realize the skimmer overflowed in my 40 gal. In a small tank it completely killed about everything. I basically had to restart but now the tank is great

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success after many failures. Not because of the failures but in spite of them.
As long as you persevere good things will come. It's only those that quit when the going gets tough that miss out on the true joys of a reef tank. Stay the course and you'll see the rainbow ;)

EDIT: sorry you wanted redemption stories. My worst was velvet in a 180g tank with fish that had been with me over 6 years. I had decided to just let them all die and then get rid of the tank. My Gal and Daughter shamed me into attempting to save the fish. Not wanting to disappointed them and look like a quiter I set up a stock tank, treated the fish and ran the display fallow. I lost a lot of fish but also saved some.

The naso, purple and hippo are three that I saved and recently got to move into my new tank
PXL_20240616_160531776.jpg
That's amazing that you were able to save some! Good on your lady and little girl for helping you find the motivation. That's a great redemption story. Beautiful tank, by the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping after all the bad luck these past 3 months, this will be my success.

20240626_162036.jpg
Yes, me too! The last 2 months have been an uphill battle. I'm hoping the payoff isn't far away.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back