Have you compared PVC union o-ring material?

BRS

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure many of you have come across this topic, maybe theres posts out there already.....

Just wondering if anyone has noticed and compared the different oring and seal materials on pvc unions and or valves.

The off the shelf spears unions at my local plumbing supply came with EPDM (black and more cost effective) and cost $15 & $20 for 1/2" & 1"

The BRS spears unions are 3.99 & 4.99 for 1/2" & 1" and......drum roll.......Viton O-rings.

THANK YOU BRS!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spears unions are nice, though they’ve put the O ring on the flange side which totally screwed me up. Not sure the O ring material really matters all that much. I’ve a few ball valves on my system with EPDM that are over 20 years old ..... still seal just fine.

OP
OP
Saltyreef

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spears unions are nice, though they’ve put the O ring on the flange side which totally screwed me up. Not sure the O ring material really matters all that much. I’ve a few ball valves on my system with EPDM that are over 20 years old ..... still seal just fine.
I agree it doesnt. Not unless youre using it for chemicals. We do at work so Viton is the go-to O-ring material.
I wish more of the engineers knew the difference of seal materials and the chemicals I use to treat the steam system we all work on.
Cant tell you how much rubber comes out of the test port on our condensate return line from failed seals in the valves theyve used on repairs in the past.
This means hardly nothing to a reefer but just know BRS is giving the BEST quality at the LOWEST price.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back