Has Anyone "Target" Dosed Dinos with Hydrogen Peroxide?

BRS

Lord_Mort

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I've been doing a lot of research about battling Dinos and one attractive approach I learned about was dosing Hydrogen Peroxide (3% Food Grade) at a rate of 1ml per 10 gal. Most recommendations say to broadcast it an hour after lights out.

I am wondering about TARGET DOSING. I'd still follow the 1ml per 10g rule but I would like to target the patches on my rocks with a pipette and melt a small portion away each day.

Has anyone done this? What were your results?

Thanks

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi All!

I've been doing a lot of research about battling Dinos and one attractive approach I learned about was dosing Hydrogen Peroxide (3% Food Grade) at a rate of 1ml per 10 gal. Most recommendations say to broadcast it an hour after lights out.

I am wondering about TARGET DOSING. I'd still follow the 1ml per 10g rule but I would like to target the patches on my rocks with a pipette and melt a small portion away each day.

Has anyone done this? What were your results?

Thanks
Peroxide is an oxidizer and not remover. You want to take away light which is their main food source and clean skimmer cup and filters daily to reverse their reproduction capabilities

Avast

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Could you expand on this please? (Also, the lights have been cut back and shifted to primarily blue)
You want to outcompete dinos with bacteria. Peroxide will lift the cells during treatment but not stop them

BRS

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotchya. I have silicate, pods, phyto, and Dr Tim's eco-balance on the way!
Why silicates?

With respect to dosing peroxide in a reef tank, be careful for your pods & shrmps. Depending on the BOD (biological oxygen demand) of your system will determine the effect of hydrogen peroxide on the system. I used the protocol that you outlined and lost pods in 120G display.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why silicates?

With respect to dosing peroxide in a reef tank, be careful for your pods & shrmps. Depending on the BOD (biological oxygen demand) of your system will determine the effect of hydrogen peroxide on the system. I used the protocol that you outlined and lost pods in 120G display.
I’d guess to introduce diatoms which will out compete the Dinos it’s a common practice with the battle.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I started dosing peroxide after velvet wiped out my tank. Dosing was based on a humblefish thread and I also ran UV.

One side effect I noticed is that my Dino’s completely disappeared for the 1st time in my systems history, over 3 years. I have had ups and downs with Dino’s but even when the DT was clear (generally from UV or aquabiomics rubble) I always had a low level present in the sump (150g Rubbermaid) near my chaeto lit by a kessil h380.

While I don’t recommend anyone dosing peroxide without a lot of research, and mine was for desperation for velvet, I can’t ignore for the 1st time in the system history dinos were eradicated. You can find more details in my build thread, but I can’t discount my observation.

Avast

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gotchya. I have silicate, pods, phyto, and Dr Tim's eco-balance on the way!
Silicates for ? Often silicates will promote diatoms. Pods are hit and miss with dino. The method I gave has worked for numerous people without the extras

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicates for ? Often silicates will promote diatoms. Pods are hit and miss with dino. The method I gave has worked for numerous people without the extras
Yes, silicates to help diatoms so they'll compete. What I have is a 13.5g nano so I do not have a skimmer. I could clean my filters more often but I am trying to raise my Phosphate and Nitrates since the are .04 and 0.0 respectively.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, silicates to help diatoms so they'll compete. What I have is a 13.5g nano so I do not have a skimmer. I could clean my filters more often but I am trying to raise my Phosphate and Nitrates since the are .04 and 0.0 respectively.
Phos at .04 acceptable. Nitrates at zero is an issue but through feedings can be raised.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

epidemos82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the common approach is the increase phosphate and nitrates, increase diversity (pods and phyto), and use daily silicate dosing to cause a diatom bloom. The diatoms are thought to "outcompete" the dinos, but whether that is because of real estate (occupying the sand bed) or nutrients, it doesn't sound like people know. It's explained in the guide on the Macks Facebook page.

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the common approach is the increase phosphate and nitrates, increase diversity (pods and phyto), and use daily silicate dosing to cause a diatom bloom. The diatoms are thought to "outcompete" the dinos, but whether that is because of real estate (occupying the sand bed) or nutrients, it doesn't sound like people know. It's explained in the guide on the Macks Facebook page.
Yes, the Macks Facebook page is what I am following. I've got a nano with no skimmer and no UV. Installing either of these will be challenging so I am trying the diatom/phyto/pod approach first.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried target dosing things and even when cold, the h2o2 floats straight up and makes contact for only a second or two.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back