Has anyone set up a refugium in an AIO?

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really appreciate any photos, tips, dos and do nots from anyone who has set up a refugium in an AIO. Mine is a 60 gallon and hoping to do this.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really appreciate any photos, tips, dos and do nots from anyone who has set up a refugium in an AIO. Mine is a 60 gallon and hoping to do this.

See if you can do a search on BioCube 29 gallon modifications and/or mods. The middle chamber used to have a window in the middle chamber. Hobbyist would put a light in there or rubble to have a mine refugium or grow algae or cryptic zone. May give you some examples. It has been a good while since I've had one (29 gallon biocube) but I used to put rubble in my middle chamber for pods and what not.

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have refugium in my WB 50.3 AIO. Purchased large IM media basket, removed middle shelves and attached Tunze Eco Chic Submersible Refugium Light.
Long story short, Cheato grew much faster than I expected and stripped my tank of Nitrates. And, since I didn't have any phosphates because dry rock absorbed everything, SCA overtaken my tank. After three months of fighting, I decided to start over.
So, it is easy to set up refugium in AIO filter chamber, but please do check your macro algae frequently and adjust light periods to make sure you reduce your nutrients and not removing them completely.

OP
OP
A

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have refugium in my WB 50.3 AIO. Purchased large IM media basket, removed middle shelves and attached Tunze Eco Chic Submersible Refugium Light.
Long story short, Cheato grew much faster than I expected and stripped my tank of Nitrates. And, since I didn't have any phosphates because dry rock absorbed everything, SCA overtaken my tank. After three months of fighting, I decided to start over.
So, it is easy to set up refugium in AIO filter chamber, but please do check your macro algae frequently and adjust light periods to make sure you reduce your nutrients and not removing them completely.
Thank you. Very helpful to know. I do already have two of the IM media baskets, so may indeed convert one to a refugium down the road - but will wait a while to let my tank get more established - and be careful!

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a Tunze EcoChic in a WB50.3 with no issues. I originally 3D printed a cage to keep the Chaeto from flowing to the return chamber. I later found that the cage was not needed as the Chaeto stays in place once it takes off. Between the EcoChic and a Tunze skimmer, my Nitrate and Phosphate levels remain low.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back