Harlequin tusk/red breasted wrasse. Bad idea ?

Nutramar

CC_N

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stocking my FOWLR aquarium. Im thinking of a Harlequin tusk(pretty hard to find here) or a red breasted wrasse. Will those eats small fishes(chromis/anthias size) ? I have heard mixed "reviews" about harlequin tusk but have no info about red breasted

Top Shelf Aquatics

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stocking my FOWLR aquarium. Im thinking of a Harlequin tusk(pretty hard to find here) or a red breasted wrasse. Will those eats small fishes(chromis/anthias size) ? I have heard mixed "reviews" about harlequin tusk but have no info about red breasted
IMO they are one of the best fish for a FOWLR. They wont eat things like chromis or Anthias no but they will eat some shrimp and tiny tiny fish like tiny gobies occasionally but even that they would need to be on the hunt to do which they normally don’t.

AS

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually one of the shyest fish species even though their appearance wouldn’t hint it. It’s a beautiful fish and highly recommend. What size tank do you have?

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO they are one of the best fish for a FOWLR. They wont eat things like chromis or Anthias no but they will eat some shrimp and tiny tiny fish like tiny gobies occasionally but even that they would need to be on the hunt to do which they normally don’t.
I dont have any inverts in my tank. thank you btw

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like, ANY wrasse ?
including fairy wrasses and stuff ?

A tusk in in the wrasse family and may not take kindly once it’s been there a bit.

The school here has a very large tank, they tried to add a yellow coris wrasse after it… it bit right down the middle and killed it.

If you add them while the tusk is small or add them before the tusk… then it will probably be fine.

Acclimation box should help too.

Fish are also individuals to be fair as well.

I would personally just plan out my additions accordingly or buy a small tusk to give me time.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tusk in in the wrasse family and may not take kindly once it’s been there a bit.

The school here has a very large tank, they tried to add a yellow coris wrasse after it… it bit right down the middle and killed it.

If you add them while the tusk is small or add them before the tusk… then it will probably be fine.

I would personally just plan out my additions accordingly or buy a small tusk to give me time.
Thank you a lot !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Both will eat shrimp and smaller crabs. My Harlequin could not care less about the snails. I have 8 clowns in the tank and harlequin doesnt even look at them

Top Shelf Aquatics

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th

That may just be the case for that one fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav I woudlnt say no other wrasse. I know plenty of people who have owned Tusks with other wrasse with just a few territorial disputes.

Ya I was in a hurry when I posted that. I just meant I would add the other wrasses before the tusk ideally.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back