Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for something that would eat asterina starfish. I'm not looking for starfish because I'm probably gonna kill it. Also, I have an urchin that I very much love, and don't want anything that'll hurt it.
Thank's to anyone who replies.

Top Shelf Aquatics

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of tweezers and determination.

Spend an hour or two picking every single one you can find. Then a couple days later do it again. And a third time. From then on, every time you see one, quickly pick that one out.

Even if you miss a few and then get bored of it, that buys you a few months before doing it again

Your restriction rule out all predators I know of one way or anothet

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I dispose of them?
A pair of tweezers and determination.

Spend an hour or two picking every single one you can find. Then a couple days later do it again. And a third time. From then on, every time you see one, quickly pick that one out.

Even if you miss a few and then get bored of it, that buys you a few months before doing it again

Your restriction rule out all predators I know of one way or anothet

Top Shelf Aquatics

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I dispose of them?
They are not hazardous material. I just let them dry, use them as marine themed "glitter" for decoration.

Not sure there is a practical humane way to kill them that persists in you not getting bored of it. Whatever critter would eat them certainly wouldn't be humane.

The taking a single one out as soon as you see it part that comes after the mass removal phase and not waiting till later is important

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I heard fromia starfish will eat them. Will they harm urchins? I love my urchin very much. I heard you could feed them pellets and flakes so I might not kill the starfish.

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick them out take them to the lfs. I used to have to buy them once my harlequin shrimp ate all mine. People used to sell them around me also, you could try that. Beats buying a chocolate chip star and watching them ride it around while slowly eating it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I heard fromia starfish will eat them. Will they harm urchins? I love my urchin very much. I heard you could feed them pellets and flakes so I might not kill the starfish.
Fromia, Linckia, and other stars may eat them (I know Linckia will, and I expect Fromia would too, but I don't know for certain), and they shouldn't harm anything else in your tank. The downside with starfish like this is that they typically starve long term in our tanks.

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they will eat nori, pellets and flake food. So I think I'll do a bit more research.
Fromia, Linckia, and other stars may eat them (I know Linckia will, and I expect Fromia would too, but I don't know for certain), and they shouldn't harm anything else in your tank. The downside with starfish like this is that they typically starve long term in our tanks.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they will eat nori, pellets and flake food. So I think I'll do a bit more research.
They sometimes will, but they either don't eat enough of it or don't derive enough nutrition from it to live long term. Their natural diet is biofilm, which we can't replicate in our aquariums.

yanetterer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could check with your LFS, mine will buy the shrimp back at half price which makes the cost a bit more reasonable.

I've gotten rid of most of my asterinas by taking some long tweezers/coral grabbers and grabbing as many as I could every morning for the past couple of weeks.

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sometimes will, but they either don't eat enough of it or don't derive enough nutrition from it to live long term. Their natural diet is biofilm, which we can't replicate in our aquariums.
Ahh, ok. Any other starfish that easy to keep and will eat asterinas?

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, ok. Any other starfish that easy to keep and will eat asterinas?
I know some Echinaster species will, but I'm not sure how reef-safe they are. I've heard they typically last longer than other stars (they might still starve just over a longer time, or they might have easier to meet nutritional needs, I'm not sure):
For clarification here, Echinaster (Othilia) spinulosus (and closely related species like Echinaster (Othilia) echinophorus) in the wild are thought to primarily feeds on sponges, tunicates, biofilms, detritus, and dissolved organic matter (DOM). They can also filter nutrients directly from seawater through their skin. Anyway, they are known as both opportunistic predators and scavengers. In captivity, many sea stars - including Echinaster (Othilia) spinulosus - are known to eat unnatural diets, consuming things like shellfish (including shrimp), bivalves (clams, mussels, oysters, etc.), small starfish (like Aquilonastra spp. - known in the hobby as Asterina stars, though those are species of a different genus in the Asterinidae family), and even sand dollars.

Echinaster (Othilia) spinulosus is known to be a long-lasting species for aquariums, which indicates to me that there is a good chance they're dietary needs are more readily met by things like bivalves, unlike Linckia spp. and similar, which tend to die off within a year even when regularly offered things like clams to eat.

Now, more to your topic here, OP: if the star has been getting consistently better (moving more, eating, etc.), that's a good sign. As long as the discoloration isn't getting worse, I'd assume the star is doing okay. The discoloration may be caused by disease, dietary deficiencies, etc. Generally, when stars start getting discolored in our aquariums, they usually basically disintegrate and die. I'm not well-versed enough in sea star diseases to know for sure what causes this/if it's related to Sea Star Wasting Disease (which is pretty well the only sea star disease that I can get Google to pull up info about), but there is an effective antibiotic treatment for SSWD (though I'm not sure what dosage or anything for it, as the info is behind a paywall). That said, though - disease or not - the discoloration doesn't seem severe enough in this case for me to feel comfortable suggesting any treatment, and any treatment at this stage may make things worse rather than better.

So, personally, I'd just keep doing what you're doing and see if it eventually improves.

Some relevant references, for anyone who's interested:

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back