+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

For the past 2 years ive been using my hanna salinity checker and everything seems fine, 1.025 salinity

I mixed some saltwater today and thought id get the old refractometer out and cross check, its been sitting in my cupboard for the past year or so,

I calibrated the refractometer with rodi water because i dont have the 35ppt fluid to calibrate it

When i checked my water it shows 1.027-28

Now i dont know what to believe, anyone have a similar situation or advice

I may go buy another refractometer tomorrow but thought id post here first to get some opinions

Top Shelf Aquatics

liddojunior

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you also calibrate the Hanna?
You can’t compare them when their calibration isn’t to the same fluid.

I do think a refractometer is more accurate, while Hanna is more precise.

If you get 2 color identifier tools
Tool 1 calibrate to yellow-
Tool 2 calibrate to green-blue.
Then compare them when testing to yellow paper. You will get slightly different numbers.

Edit: Don’t buy a new tool, buy new calibration fluid. You’ll still have the same issue, except since you’ll calibrate it with RO water like the other you’ll believe the Hanna is the problem incorrectly

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you also calibrate the Hanna?
You can’t compare them when their calibration isn’t to the same fluid.

I do think a refractometer is more accurate, while Hanna is more precise.

If you get 2 tools and tell one tool this is paper is yellow-green. And you tell the other tool this paper is green-blue. Then ask them both how yellow is his paper they are going to different from each other because the reference is opposites
Yes after getting different results, i calibrated the hanna checker with the hanna fluid,
And it still showed 1.025

Nothing in my tank is showing stress, coral seems happy and open but i didnt want to wait untill something does happen then have regrets

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

liddojunior

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after getting different results, i calibrated the hanna checker with the hanna fluid,
And it still showed 1.025

Nothing in my tank is showing stress, coral seems happy and open but i didnt want to wait untill something does happen then have regrets
Did you calibrate the refract to the Hanna fluid?
I’m pointing out that they both need the same base standard calibration. The way these things work is how different is the tested fluid from the control fluid.
Also why would you say you don’t have 35ppt fluid to calibrate without turns out you do since the Hanna fluid is 35 ppt water

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the refract to the Hanna fluid?
I’m pointing out that they both need the same base standard calibration. They way these things work is how different is the tested fluid from the control fluid.
No i didnt because the hanna fluid says "not to be used with refractometers"

I think because they use different methods of measuring,

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

For the past 2 years ive been using my hanna salinity checker and everything seems fine, 1.025 salinity

I mixed some saltwater today and thought id get the old refractometer out and cross check, its been sitting in my cupboard for the past year or so,

I calibrated the refractometer with rodi water because i dont have the 35ppt fluid to calibrate it

When i checked my water it shows 1.027-28

Now i dont know what to believe, anyone have a similar situation or advice

I may go buy another refractometer tomorrow but thought id post here first to get some opinions

Is the refractometer a seawater device or designed for saline brine?

In any event a refractometer should be calibrated with a standard close to the fluid you are testing - in the this case it should be calibrated to a 35ppt standard.

Given an unknown refractometer, the Hanna conductivity tester will give more accurate results if calibrated correctly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the refractometer a seawater device or designed for saline brine?

In any event a refractometer should be calibrated with a standard close to the fluid you are testing - in the this case it should be calibrated to a 35ppt standard.

Given an unknown refractometer, the Hanna conductivity tester will give more accurate results if calibrated correctly.
Im not sure what type it is to be honest, it says atc on it, ill post a picture for you,

Ill try get some calibration fluid tomorrow and retest before i do a water change, incase i need to adjust

Thanks for the link, ill check it out now

Attachments

• 20230415_195046.jpg
    20230415_195046.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 8

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what type it is to be honest, it says atc on it, ill post a picture for you,

Ill try get some calibration fluid tomorrow and retest before i do a water change, incase i need to adjust

Thanks for the link, ill check it out now
The ATC refers to Automatic Temperature Compensation which is necessary as the result is dependent on temperature.

Top Shelf Aquatics

liddojunior

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t aware the Hanna Fluid was not appropriate, thought it was just saline water. My packets don’t say that.
But basically as pointed out, need to calibrate to 35ppt or it’s going to say different values.
So nothing surprising here, I also believe the Hanna is more trustworthy in this case

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t aware the Hanna Fluid was not appropriate, thought it was just saline water. My packets don’t say that.
But basically as pointed out, need to calibrate to 35ppt or it’s going to say different values.
So nothing surprising here, I also believe the Hanna is more trustworthy in this case
It's Potassium Chloride solution :cool: but you can make a DIY using table salt and RODI water.

Instructions in the above link.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jrill

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the hanna checkers reading low ?
Yes, it has been that way for the two years I've used it. While it always reads low its always consistent so I just factor that in and know where I need it to be. I calibrate once a month and always verify the difference with the Tropic Marin hydrometer.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it has been that way for the two years I've used it. While it always reads low its always consistent so I just factor that in and know where I need it to be. I calibrate once a month and always verify the difference with the Tropic Marin hydrometer.
How did you check the calibration of the hydrometer?

Top Shelf Aquatics

MBruun

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hydrometer/floater cannot be calibrated since it measure salinity by the density of the water, and therefore more reliable than devices that needs to be calibrated. But as saltwater density depend on the temperature the result have to be calculated to give the actual salinity.
Calculator suggestions:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back