Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hammer coral has been showing a lot most days, my other hammer is doing great but this one hasnt grown and shows its skeleton daily, alk, calc, mag and salinity is fine. I just find it strange that my other hammer is doing great, the other hammer coral is placed about 3" away from this purple one.

Edit: I used to do weekly 10% water changes, since i've stopped doing it weekly it seems to have gotten a bit better, i have also dipped it, no pests on it.
coral.jpg

BRS

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this hammer been with you? Perhaps try giving it a iodine dip? Just a few drops (1-2) will do. I mostly get hammer in this shape when they first arrive for me since euphyllia generally dont ship as well. But a iodine dip and occasionally dosing 1-2 drops of iodine in the tank for short period seems to do the trick for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This hammer coral has been showing a lot most days, my other hammer is doing great but this one hasnt grown and shows its skeleton daily, alk, calc, mag and salinity is fine. I just find it strange that my other hammer is doing great, the other hammer coral is placed about 3" away from this purple one.

Edit: I used to do weekly 10% water changes, since i've stopped doing it weekly it seems to have gotten a bit better, i have also dipped it, no pests on it.
View attachment 2889451
Its tissue recession. First thing is to get it off sandbed as sand will irritate it. While hammer is NOT picky about specific locations they do best at lower third of tank as it offers moderate light and water flow. Lighting- Moderate but not too bright but needed for production of its inner sugars known as zooxanthellae which needs light for its production.
Another stressor is water flow if too much or polyps bent over will tear them off. Too little flow and polyps shrink as in your case
Being a coral with skeleton, it requires calcium of at least 380

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been 2 months, what iodine solution do you recommend? thank you!
There are many brands but personally I use Brightwell’s Iodine. Get the smallest bottle possible, I believe its 250ml. Cause you will be using very little of it. There are other brands as well that should do the trick like Seachem.

This was the problem child, it was showing exposed teeth/septa and there were algae and it was shriveled and not fluffy like in the picture. I dont have a before but rn its doing so much better after a couple of dips.

4152ED7E-F9DC-4D62-A471-AD11493DCC1B.jpeg 2A4A97B8-9B76-4C8D-958C-40A669E7A7A9.jpeg

OP
OP
M

micky015

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its tissue recession. First thing is to get it off sandbed as sand will irritate it. While hammer is NOT picky about specific locations they do best at lower third of tank as it offers moderate light and water flow. Lighting- Moderate but not too bright but needed for production of its inner sugars known as zooxanthellae which needs light for its production.
Another stressor is water flow if too much or polyps bent over will tear them off. Too little flow and polyps shrink as in your case
Being a coral with skeleton, it requires calcium of at least 380
thank you! will try moving it now, its just confusing as the other hammer coral that's right next to it is doing amazing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thank you! will try moving it now, its just confusing as the other hammer coral that's right next to it is doing amazing.
I once upon a time struggled with hammer and with doing what I mentioned , this is my hammer ability:
660g 3.30d.jpg

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not impossible to have hammers on the sandbed but only if they are really healthy and stable. I have seen many lfs place their hammers on the sandbed that are huge and fluffy. I believe yours is already stressed so its good to try eliminate as much potential stressors as possible. Also like what Vetteguy53081 pointed out, might want to check your waterflow as well. Are you seeing the polyps bounce or sway gently? Or is there barely any movement.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
M

micky015

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not impossible to have hammers on the sandbed but only if they are really healthy and stable. I have seen many lfs place their hammers on the sandbed that are huge and fluffy. I believe yours is already stressed so its good to try eliminate as much potential stressors as possible. Also like what Vetteguy53081 pointed out, might want to check your waterflow as well. Are you seeing the polyps bounce or sway gently? Or is there barely any movement.
they sway gently with the flow, ive moved him off the sandbed now, will wait for the iodine to come in mail then try that aswell, thank you!

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sway gently with the flow, ive moved him off the sandbed now, will wait for the iodine to come in mail then try that aswell, thank you!
Good to hear that, judging from how the other hammers are doing ok I believe its really this particular hammer that is just unwell. I have lost hammers multiple times within a week of arriving since they really just do not ship well. I cant do much since I cant tweak and make major changes to the tank just to accommodate this few hammers at the cost of all my other established corals.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back