Hammer coral receding in the middle or splitting into two heads?

zedxplorer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammer (I think it's a wall hammer? But maybe branching hammer) is shrinking in the middle of the skeleton, and I can't tell if it is receding or splitting. Any insight will be much appreciated!

PXL_20240804_005859164.jpg PXL_20240804_005850785.jpg PXL_20240804_005849070.jpg PXL_20240804_005843723.jpg PXL_20240804_005842339.jpg

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks to be a wall hammer. They kind of “pinch” instead of growing heads. Does look to be what’s happening but I am concerned with the lack of a flesh band so keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Z

zedxplorer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight, I do notice there's algae on the skeleton where the flesh hand is receding the most, which got me worried. Any recommendations on how to tackle it? I tried turkey baster and toothbrush like other posts recommended but the algae seems to grow back

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the insight, I do notice there's algae on the skeleton where the flesh hand is receding the most, which got me worried. Any recommendations on how to tackle it? I tried turkey baster and toothbrush like other posts recommended but the algae seems to grow back
Restor from Brightwell does a good job at helping LPS tissue growth but I’ll be honest and say that it’s hard to get these guys back to healthy when tissue recession has started.

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the “algae” brown? I can’t tell by the picture? And what @crazyfishmom + one for brightwell restore, I use the same product and you might want to take it out and try and coral dip with something similar to coral rx. If ur desperate I’ve heard the KFC dip is great.

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you list your parameters? Might also help us understand if there’s anything that you may want to think about as far as your water is concerned too.

OP
OP
Z

zedxplorer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, should've listed them earlier. Water params are below
Salinity 35ppt (Hanna)
Alk 7.9 dkh (Hanna)
Nitrate 1.2 ppm (Hanna)
Phosphate 0.15 ppm (Hanna)
Ca 410 ppm (Salifert)
Mg 1320 ppm (Salifert)

I don't really feed the corals and mostly rely on the light which is on a 12h cycle, maybe I should start doing that?

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's true, should've listed them earlier. Water params are below
Salinity 35ppt (Hanna)
Alk 7.9 dkh
Nitrate 1.2 ppm (Hanna)
Phosphate 0.15 ppm (Hanna)
Ca 410 ppm (Salifert)
Mg 1320 ppm (Salifert)
Personally, I think raising your nitrates a little would be helpful. LPS likes slightly dirtier water. Your other parameters look great.

Do you know whereabouts the PAR may be where your hammer is? There’s also a frogspawn that doesn’t look super fluffy in the tank.

OP
OP
Z

zedxplorer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think raising your nitrates a little would be helpful. LPS likes slightly dirtier water. Your other parameters look great.

Do you know whereabouts the PAR may be where your hammer is? There’s also a frogspawn that doesn’t look super fluffy in the tank.
I can dose some nitrate for sure, I don't know the PAR exactly but I imagine somewhere 50-100 if I have to guess, I have few other hammer at about the same level and seems to be doing well. (That frogspawn actually open pretty big, the light just turned to moonlight so it shrunk when I take the picture)

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can dose some nitrate for sure, I don't know the PAR exactly but I imagine somewhere 50-100 if I have to guess, I have few other hammer at about the same level and seems to be doing well. (That frogspawn actually open pretty big, the light just turned to moonlight so it shrunk when I take the picture)
Thanks for confirming. Just noticed so figured I’d ask. Try a little bit of nitrate. Try the Restor. Are there any fish that could be picking at it?

OP
OP
Z

zedxplorer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two clowns at the top and a watchman goby which tends to stay at the bottom so I don't think so?
Let me try to higher the nitrate and try to dose some restore like you said and see how they do!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back