promotheus2070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers ,
Yesterday i picked up my

Halichoeres melanurus

After placing him in the tank he went straight into hiding in the sand bed .
Now i cant seem to find him anymore . Light are already on for 2 hours and still no sign of him .
I thought since he's an active swimmer he would be out already ?
Could there be an delay of waking up with wrasses since they sleep under the sandbed compared to other fish that responds to the lighting to wake up ?

Or am i overthinking it and is he still getting aclimated ?

cdnco2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers ,
Yesterday i picked up my

Halichoeres melanurus

After placing him in the tank he went straight into hiding in the sand bed .
Now i cant seem to find him anymore . Light are already on for 2 hours and still no sign of him .
I thought since he's an active swimmer he would be out already ?
Could there be an delay of waking up with wrasses since they sleep under the sandbed compared to other fish that responds to the lighting to wake up ?

Or am i overthinking it and is he still getting aclimated ?
Did he end up coming out of hiding?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like maybe the fish was not healthy assuming all other fish in the tank are fine. Care to share info on tank? Maybe a FTS? Are you buying from the same source? I'm no wrasse expert but I'm on my second melanurus, the first one lasting several years. Mine sleeps in a clay pot full of sand. I do observation QT tho vs dumping them in the DT. Not saying that is the cause I just like to make sure fish are healthy and eating well before adding them to the DT.

OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like maybe the fish was not healthy assuming all other fish in the tank are fine. Care to share info on tank? Maybe a FTS? Are you buying from the same source? I'm no wrasse expert but I'm on my second melanurus, the first one lasting several years. Mine sleeps in a clay pot full of sand. I do observation QT tho vs dumping them in the DT. Not saying that is the cause I just like to make sure fish are healthy and eating well before adding them to the DT.
same source , could be the issue , im not sure about their QR routine .
What do you mean with FTS ?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same source , could be the issue , im not sure about their QR routine .
What do you mean with FTS ?

Full tank shot so we can see the layout. Probably not an issue but it can be helpful sometimes trouble shooting issues. How long has the tank been running? Again just info that can be helpful.

EDIT : I saw the tank from one of your posts. Nothing stands out there. How far apart were the deaths

Last edited:
OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot so we can see the layout. Probably not an issue but it can be helpful sometimes trouble shooting issues. How long has the tank been running? Again just info that can be helpful.
12 months rn .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240929_025556_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240929_025556_Gallery.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240929_025553_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240929_025553_Gallery.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did the first one live?
Thats was one of the first fish , a sixline .

I Had put him in the tank and never seen again . After few months i tried a yellow coris wrasse . He did fine for days , active swimming and eating , then just after 1 night never seen again . Then a few weeks ago the last one .....

There is no agression in the tank .

Stock is as followed .

Pair cleaner shrimp

Goby/shrimp pair

pair clown's

4 lyretail's

1 fox

Fox last added same time as last wrasse .

Maybe i should try a non sand sleeper wrasse ?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i should try a non sand sleeper wrasse ?
The sixline is not a sand sleeper so should have been ok, I have two. Even sand sleepers will ussualy find a place to sleep in the rocks. While not ideal it won't cause death in days like the melanurus. You said the sixline and the yellow disappeared. Any chance they may have jumped into the overflow or onto the floor and another pet ate them or they managed to get under the stand?

OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sixline is not a sand sleeper so should have been ok, I have two. Even sand sleepers will ussualy find a place to sleep in the rocks. While not ideal it won't cause death in days like the melanurus. You said the sixline and the yellow disappeared. Any chance they may have jumped into the overflow or onto the floor and another pet ate them or they managed to get under the stand?
One of the first things i looked into , there is a net over the tanks but i did check behind and under cabinet . When the coris disapeared i checked even the downpipe going to the reefmat , nothing to find .
But i guess smaller fish carcasses gets eaten real fast in my tank due to my shrimp and snails , since the melan was already a bigger guy and in the period of 1 night almost fully cleared by CUC

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back