Hairy Mushroom Propagation

Redeemed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a hairy mushroom for about two months. It has already grown and now has grown another right next to it. I had to get a flashlight to ensure it was indeed another separate one. The first one was on a frag plug but the second, I imagine attached to the nearby rock.

How do I remove it from the rock if I wanted to relocate it to another part of the tank? I imagine I carefully and slowly peel away the base from the rock but is that doable? If I do successfully take it off, how do I glue it to a plug if the base is all coral? Won't that harm the base? If it might harm it, I will just leave it as is.

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great questions. Commenting because I also want to know. My understanding is that as long as the mouth of the mushroom is intact that even if there’s some damage that it’ll be okay. Also that you would not glue but rather tie the mushroom down somehow and it would attach itself in a couple of weeks like most softies.

OP
OP
R

Redeemed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's right. I remember something about banding them since its the actual real base of the coral. Rubber banding would be tough to get the right tightness without too much pressure. I may just leave as is. Its fine where its at but would like to be able to add another instead of buying another.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back