Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two EcoTech Marine lights, with a mobile app that I can control.
I used the program that the previous owner had, then I went to a pre programed template. It seems that brown hair algae started growing soon after I messed with the settings. ( may be a coincidence ) anyway, I have a fish/reef tank 75 gallon. what is recommended in % of the lighting should I program for? UV, VIOLET,ROYAL,BLUE, GREEN, RED, WARM WHITE, COOL WHITE.
Thank you in advance for any help with this..

Karl

Top Shelf Aquatics

marineman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rent a par meter and dial it in that way. Percentages without testing intensity can be very detrimental.

But, most run very low green, red and white. Coral really doesn't need it, but algae does. I run my blue, purple, uv, etc at 80-100%. My green, red, white go no higher than 10% and only for a brief period. No algae issues...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

rudy3

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i watched and read a ton of BRS to find this, these are their preferred settings. It depends on your tank and coral but if you have around a 60, these are your settings. im limiting to 8 hours per day to balance my CUC and limit under 90 to keep the fan noise under control.

IMG_1436.PNG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i watched and read a ton of BRS to find this, these are their preferred settings. It depends on your tank and coral but if you have around a 60, these are your settings. im limiting to 8 hours per day

View attachment 3069028
I would bring the whites down to 20-24%
While BRS has some good videos, the information does not apply to every tank . When they are showing tests on a 130 gallon tank as example, the principles will apply but doesn't apply to a 40-50-60 gallon system. The numbers will be different.
It will be hard to assess also without a pic or two under white lighting as there are various forms of algae.
Typically the first recourse is to reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting which does fuel algae and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails tear up GHA. Even with whites my under 10% and reds and greens under 4% I had a GHA issue. My weekly tests consistently showed my po4 at .08 and under and my no3 at 10 or under. GHA never subsided even with almost daily removal……until I added a turbo snail. I’m now seeing parts of my tank clean and bare where GHA use to run rampant. He’s put my tuxedo urchin to shame.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back