Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 years I suddenly got a hair algae problem in my tank(220 gallon). My nitrates were at 15-20ppm always and phosphates I never checked. Then I removed all rock work cleaned and removed and put back in and started carbon dosing . My nitrates are at 3 ppm and phosphates at .07. I am still getting hair algae. My question is will it die off if I maintain this level of Nitrates and phosphates? I have tangs and cleanup crews but they are not eating much

World Wide Corals

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Adding labile DOC, aka carbon dosing, may be helping the algae actually (See Rohwer's links and the links on phase shifts below). The algae eaters I like are urchins, large algae eating hermits like thin stripe hermits and sally lightfoot crabs. IWhat has worked best for me over hte decades is doing consitant water changes and manual removal and FWIW I haven't seen any correlation with nitrates, phosphates and nuisance algae. Shifting ecosystems so they don't promote nuisance algae doesn't happen overnight so be patient.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Adding labile DOC, aka carbon dosing, may be helping the algae actually (See Rohwer's links and the links on phase shifts below). The algae eaters I like are urchins, large algae eating hermits like thin stripe hermits and sally lightfoot crabs. IWhat has worked best for me over hte decades is doing consitant water changes and manual removal and FWIW I haven't seen any correlation with nitrates, phosphates and nuisance algae. Shifting ecosystems so they don't promote nuisance algae doesn't happen overnight so be patient.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Thank you for all the information. I will go through everything. I do water changes every 2 weeks

AS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After 2 years I suddenly got a hair algae problem in my tank(220 gallon). My nitrates were at 15-20ppm always and phosphates I never checked. Then I removed all rock work cleaned and removed and put back in and started carbon dosing . My nitrates are at 3 ppm and phosphates at .07. I am still getting hair algae. My question is will it die off if I maintain this level of Nitrates and phosphates? I have tangs and cleanup crews but they are not eating much
carbon dosing fueling the algae. Is this tank getting partial sunlight?
What cleaner crew do you currently have?
Any pics under white lighting ?

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon dosing fueling the algae. Is this tank getting partial sunlight?
What cleaner crew do you currently have?
Any pics under white lighting ?
No its not getting any sunlight as such its in my basement and way away from the windows. I am attaching a video let me know if you can see it . This is after I removed all alage 2 months back

Attachments

• IMG_6045.MOV
    23.1 MB
OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its not getting any sunlight as such its in my basement and way away from the windows. I am attaching a video let me know if you can see it . This is after I removed all algae 2 months back

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 24
Nutramar Foods

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information. I will go through everything. I do water changes every 2 weeks

Using straws might help see the below videos. An eye opening experience I had with the crash of 2008 was a system I maintained in a house that sat empty for 3 years. Over that period the system was crashed 3 times (realitors and electricians :face-with-rolling-eyes: ). While some animals survived the owner didn't want to put any effort in rehabilitating the system. I did minor restocking adding some overflow from other systems. Each time just doing manual removal with small weekly water changes the nuisance algae blooms dissappeared over 4-8 months. Below are also links to two threads I posted on the local forum:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Image quite dark to tell

AS

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I will take one with a higher light intensity when I get home. But as a general question when nitrate and phoaphates are low shouldn't the algae die itself?
Not necessarily. Algae needs light and inorganics to thrive. Certain coral supplements, overfeeding and algae itself consumes nitrates

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, heavy GHA. I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, heavy GHA. I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
I am using rodi water i have a doubt thr di resin need to be replaced . Its 2 years old even though my tds still reads zero

Corals.com

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put hair algae covered live rock into brute cans filled with nothing but saltwater and inverts while I was redoing my tank. They stayed in there, basically in the dark (overhead basement light flicked on once or twice a day) with almost no nutrients for close to 2 months. The algae not only didn't die, but actually thrived. I think GHA can survive on the moon.

KKY

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I heard tang and cleanup crew don’t like very long hair algae. In my tank I overstock clean up crew and I think they do a great job to eat every visible piece of algae. turbos especially helps with large area cleaning, and Astrea gets into the small places for deep cleaning.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard tang and cleanup crew don’t like very long hair algae. In my tank I overstock clean up crew and I think they do a great job to eat every visible piece of algae. turbos especially helps with large area cleaning, and Astrea gets into the small places for deep cleaning.
I have few snails but not eating that much may need to add some urchins

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back