Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this anemone for about 6 weeks. I actually ordered something else but the company sent him on mistake and I chose to keep him. He came completely bleached as expected but seems healthy. He immediately attached between a rock and the sand bed and hasn't moved. I've been feeding daily to make sure he stays healthy and did a zooxanthellae transplant last week with a BTA tentacle in hopes of repopulating.

What gives me concern, though, is a slow loss of tentacles. They shrink and disappear. From what I've read this is caused by stress but I'm not sure what the stress would be. I'm hoping someone on here with more experience can chime in as the internet doesn't have much.

Thank you!

20230206_213911.jpg Screenshot_20230207-155534_Gallery.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters and what lighting are you using?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop feeding it directly. I always opted for passive feeding with my sebae. The key to success for me was optimum water quality and good lighting. I would give it some time and allow it to recover from being bleached.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree about not feeding him. He is bleached so will not get any energy from the light. Clean water and stable condition is what he need but he need to eat to get the energy to get well. He is loosing tentacles because he is reabsorbing himself for energy. He need to be feed a small amount. Pencil eraser size two or so cube every 3-4 days until he gain his zoos again.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Z

zoolander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree about not feeding him. He is bleached so will not get any energy from the light. Clean water and stable condition is what he need but he need to eat to get the energy to get well. He is loosing tentacles because he is reabsorbing himself for energy. He need to be feed a small amount. Pencil eraser size two or so cube every 3-4 days until he gain his zoos again.

I got the zoo transplant directions from reading your thread!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Shooter6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you used a different species of anemone to perform 'transplant' is it possible you also transplanted the bubble tips chemical warfare to the nem?

I use reefroids to feed my colorado sunburst nems. I see much faster growth with it over frozen of any kind.

Considered a qt/cipro treatment?

Bacterial infection will cause both bleaching AND tentacles to fall off.

OP
OP
Z

zoolander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. If you feed him too much he threw it up.
how much are you feeding him?

I was feeding a 3/8 piece of frozen food. Once the tentacles started receding I upped it to twice a day. He's been eating twice a day for the last 4-5 days. He eats frozen food, I tried scallop but he threw it up whole.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Z

zoolander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you used a different species of anemone to perform 'transplant' is it possible you also transplanted the bubble tips chemical warfare to the nem?

I use reefroids to feed my colorado sunburst nems. I see much faster growth with it over frozen of any kind.

Considered a qt/cipro treatment?

Bacterial infection will cause both bleaching AND tentacles to fall off.

A transplant shouldn't cause any issue from what I've read. I don't have a QT tank. He came bleached.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A transplant shouldn't cause any issue from what I've read. I don't have a QT tank. He came bleached.
What is the procedure to transplant ?

Qt only needs to be a tote with airstone and light. Full spectrum. Black box lights work great as do reef bars from ebay with full spectrum.

Fresh mixed sw. Change the sw completely at least once a day with dosing each day at lights out.

OP
OP
Z

zoolander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - the anemone is being fed defrosted shrimp 3x a week instead of LRS which he seems to like. He has shrunk a couple inches in size but the tentacles are starting to grow in length and the purple tips are becoming darker. I did a second zoo transplant 3 days ago so we'll see if he colors up soon. Overall he seems healthier.

Top Shelf Aquatics

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the procedure to transplant ?

Qt only needs to be a tote with airstone and light. Full spectrum. Black box lights work great as do reef bars from ebay with full spectrum.

Fresh mixed sw. Change the sw completely at least once a day with dosing each day at lights out.
Here is an article I wrote on Zooxanthellae transplant.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back