GSP to back wall? Putty and Glue failed

yambeezy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice needed!

I got some GSP from WWC during the live sale and I all three pieces are together using Tunze Coral epoxy.
I have tried three times now to glue it to the back wall and all three times it has failed within 24 hours. It doesnt fall right away, it takes time before it falls.

I read to put it on the sand bed against the wall but wont the sand block that from growing up against the wall?

What have others or you done to make it stick on the back wall

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Advice needed!

I got some GSP from WWC during the live sale and I all three pieces are together using Tunze Coral epoxy.
I have tried three times now to glue it to the back wall and all three times it has failed within 24 hours. It doesnt fall right away, it takes time before it falls.

I read to put it on the sand bed against the wall but wont the sand block that from growing up against the wall?

What have others or you done to make it stick on the back wall
Floating shelf. Worked like a charm and now it’s growing in the back. I’ll try to get a pic when the lights come on.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
is it on a frag plug? You can cut the stem off a frag plug and use gorilla glue gel to glue to the wall

Not gsp but same idea
A66312C1-C6BA-456F-905D-B15733A0068A.jpeg
C4EB1FCE-9BB2-4AF1-958F-B358DD029477.jpeg

OP
OP
yambeezy23

yambeezy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it on a frag plug? You can cut the stem off a frag plug and use gorilla glue gel to glue to the wall

Not gsp but same idea
A66312C1-C6BA-456F-905D-B15733A0068A.jpeg
C4EB1FCE-9BB2-4AF1-958F-B358DD029477.jpeg
I can try a small piece of frag plug. I was just putting glue behind the gsp.
I just thought using the frag plug would be more weight so it was just fall down.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can try a small piece of frag plug. I was just putting glue behind the gsp.
I just thought using the frag plug would be more weight so it was just fall down.
Gorilla glue gel. It will absolutely hold the frag plug. Make a circle of glue so no critters or detritus or algae can get between the plug and the wall. It will stay in place forever. The coral will overflow and spread.

Gsp has a sort of waxy back. The glue will stick to the plug better.

The plugs in my pic are either 3/4” or 1” plugs. I waited for them to be fully encrusted then glued them on and let the 2 lepto frags overgrow. I’m hoping to have a wall with two different orange leptos one day. I wished I thought of this 2 years ago lol it should have been one of the first things I did in the tank

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just grows and grows and grows. Have given up trying to remove ugly zoas and palys so the gsp will be the entire tank soon. It just grows from the sand bed onto the glass on its own.

So figure if you just keep it near the glass it’ll grow onto it eventually.

OP
OP
yambeezy23

yambeezy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla glue gel. It will absolutely hold the frag plug. Make a circle of glue so no critters or detritus or algae can get between the plug and the wall. It will stay in place forever. The coral will overflow and spread.

Gsp has a sort of waxy back. The glue will stick to the plug better.

The plugs in my pic are either 3/4” or 1” plugs. I waited for them to be fully encrusted then glued them on and let the 2 lepto frags overgrow. I’m hoping to have a wall with two different orange leptos one day. I wished I thought of this 2 years ago lol it should have been one of the first things I did in the tank
Thank you. I will try that. I use 2p-10 glue so I will give that a shot on the frag plug. Thank you

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just super glue the GSP directly onto any surface that I want it to spread.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I want corals to grow and cover the the glass I take an old or cheap cleaning magnet and glue the frag on it, than place the magnet on the first spot.
When it grows out a little over the glass, I than remove the magnet and move it to the next spot, and so on and so forth until the surface is fully covered.

This method allows you to rather quickly cover the surface, as well as to reuse the magnet for different corals, and it works well with encrusting corals as well as Zoas and mushrooms, and there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work well with GSP.

OP
OP
yambeezy23

yambeezy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I want corals to grow and cover the the glass I take an old or cheap cleaning magnet and glue the frag on it, than place the magnet on the first spot.
When it grows out a little over the glass, I than remove the magnet and move it to the next spot, and so on and so forth until the surface is fully covered.

This method allows you to rather quickly cover the surface, as well as to reuse the magnet for different corals, and it works well with encrusting corals as well as Zoas and mushrooms, and there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work well with GSP.
That’s genius !

I appreciate that !

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to grow all that?!

That’s a lot!
That is an older picture I have on my phone and looking at the date I took the photo it was about a year to grow to that size. I’ve had gsp growing on my back glass for about 3 years now and it completely covers the back wall of my 125g tank. I will cut off and throw away a foot or two of it at a time while trimming. Once it takes off it grows insanely quick.
I somewhat regret adding it to my tank because it takes some effort to keep it trimmed back and if I ever mess up and let it get on my rockwork it could completely cover the tank.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an older picture I have on my phone and looking at the date I took the photo it was about a year to grow to that size. I’ve had gsp growing on my back glass for about 3 years now and it completely covers the back wall of my 125g tank. I will cut off and throw away a foot or two of it at a time while trimming. Once it takes off it grows insanely quick.
I somewhat regret adding it to my tank because it takes some effort to keep it trimmed back and if I ever mess up and let it get on my rockwork it could completely cover the tank.
I too regret ever putting it in my tank. When you’re first starting out it’s attractive because it’s easy and grows - and looks cool waving in the flow. Eventually, it just spreads where you don’t want it to. Some say you can contain it on a rock - I still see it sprout in random places. Wish I never added it. I’m a little over 2 years into my tank.

All of that said - I still have it in my tank. One is mainly contained on a rock in the front of my tank. I keep thinking I should trash it, but haven’t yet - though I have cut it back and tossed many pieces. I know, I’m contradicting myself.
IMG_3313.jpeg

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a razor to score the back wall and the plug and use glue

Make sure both surfaces are clean as well or it'll just fall off

OP
OP
yambeezy23

yambeezy23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too regret ever putting it in my tank. When you’re first starting out it’s attractive because it’s easy and grows - and looks cool waving in the flow. Eventually, it just spreads where you don’t want it to. Some say you can contain it on a rock - I still see it sprout in random places. Wish I never added it. I’m a little over 2 years into my tank.

All of that said - I still have it in my tank. One is mainly contained on a rock in the front of my tank. I keep thinking I should trash it, but haven’t yet - though I have cut it back and tossed many pieces. I know, I’m contradicting myself.
IMG_3313.jpeg
Nice looking tank! I’m still
Patiently waiting for my middle rock to grow gsp. Taking forever but I know once it takes off it takes off lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back