Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on the package that I should not plug it into a power strip but directly into an outlet. Well, I am running 5 systems and ran out of outlets. Does it serve the purpose if I use an outlet extender and have two grounding probes plugged into one outlet?

C852C50E-4D40-4C09-9F34-D334FC08CD9E.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrically speaking there’s just one ground per wall outlet ( Unless they have two rods outside) but ground is ground. The idea is to put the ground wire in at the closest point, probably to remove the possibility of a bad ground connection in the other items that we have hung up on the wall under our tanks.

Have you tested the receptacle to verify the ground wire is working? If you have a tester you can check the wall socket and the test the additional hardware to remove all doubts.

Im not an electrician but I have wired a couple of houses and two LRS and they were ok afterwards.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

alton

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your meter wearing the proper PPE and check voltage between the ungrounded prong to the grounded prong and then ungrounded to grounding. The voltage should be the same. Then check your voltage between grounding and grounded, voltage should be 0. An aquarium could be considered a wet or damp location requiring GFCI protection in a dwelling. In non dwelling aquariums are clearly spelled out as needing GFCI protection if receptacle is within 6'. They make GFCI receptacles that have an alarm when they trip.

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a GFI plugin option at the very least, water+electricity=very bad for us humans. GFCIs trip within a couple milliseconds protecting you (and your equipment) from getting a potentially dangerous shock

Like what Alton said, you can test any ground on any outlet to make certain it is grounded. If you have a multimeter, set it to voltage, one end in the round ground hole of the outlet and check it against the two vertical holes. If it reads between 118-124 on one of them and 0 on the other, then you can use the probe on that outlet, regardless of whether it’s a power strip or not.

Also, don’t touch the metal ends of the meter when you stick them in the outlet, you’ll wake up real fast :face-with-tears-of-joy:

BRS

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrically speaking there’s just one ground per wall outlet ( Unless they have two rods outside) but ground is ground.

Technically there's only one grounded conductor in a piece of romex. When properly installed should have two available grounded receptacles.

Florida residential services now require two ground rods 6'apart and do not mean the house has any more grounding capabilities over one, there's plenty of commercial buildings and stand alone services with only one ground rod. But yes ground is ground!

It’s on the package that I should not plug it into a power strip but directly into an outlet. Well, I am running 5 systems and ran out of outlets. Does it serve the purpose if I use an outlet extender and have two grounding probes plugged into one outlet?

View attachment 3070243
They are probably only trying to cover their butt its a technical thing for their lawyers no doubt. But you could get a splitter or outlet extender as you said, not a surge protector and be just fine. Thast my opinion

If you have a multimeter switch it to continuity it's the upside-down horseshoe. with your ground probe plugged in to the receptacle touch one meter lead to the aquarium ground probe, and one meter lead the your homes recpticle ground, you should have continuity the lower the number the better the connection.

Then try this same test with your splitter and all probes they should have continuity to ground.

I would say test it through your tank water but I don't know this to be an accurate test, not saying its not I've just never tried it. But this is how I would test the grounding capabilities of your probes, and their continuity to ground.

Using a GFCI on an aquarium has to be a personal choice and what you feel comfortable with, i do not use one, and i wouldn't. They are absolutely not required for aquariums unless they are designed into the building plans as such. I'd love for someone to find it it the NEC where it is required :)

"NOW THAT I HAVE SPOKEN, WHAT ELSE IS TO BE SAID" LOL :) :) :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321_170635_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230321_170635_Gallery.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically there's only one grounded conductor in a piece of romex. When properly installed should have two available grounded receptacles.

Florida residential services now require two ground rods 6'apart and do not mean the house has any more grounding capabilities over one, there's plenty of commercial buildings and stand alone services with only one ground rod. But yes ground is ground!

They are probably only trying to cover their butt its a technical thing for their lawyers no doubt. But you could get a splitter or outlet extender as you said, not a surge protector and be just fine. Thast my opinion

If you have a multimeter switch it to continuity it's the upside-down horseshoe. with your ground probe plugged in to the receptacle touch one meter lead to the aquarium ground probe, and one meter lead the your homes recpticle ground, you should have continuity the lower the number the better the connection.

Then try this same test with your splitter and all probes they should have continuity to ground.

I would say test it through your tank water but I don't know this to be an accurate test, not saying its not I've just never tried it. But this is how I would test the grounding capabilities of your probes, and their continuity to ground.

Using a GFCI on an aquarium has to be a personal choice and what you feel comfortable with, i do not use one, and i wouldn't. They are absolutely not required for aquariums unless they are designed into the building plans as such. I'd love for someone to find it it the NEC where it is required :)

"NOW THAT I HAVE SPOKEN, WHAT ELSE IS TO BE SAID" LOL :) :) :)
Only real NEC that could be applicable would be articles dealing with water sources, but I have yet to come across anything about aquariums…

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEC says gfci within 6 feet of water source. Technically an aquarium is not a water source but it is water. Same as a pool. Now NEC requiring gfci for all outdoor outlets. Why?, because it’s safer. Is rain a water source or just water?
Regardless, the way I see it if you have stray voltage/power going into your tank you or your livestock won’t get shocked unless or until you touch neutral or ground. The same way a bird can land on a live wire without issue. That’s not to say stray voltage isn’t a problem. Just don’t see why I would provide a direct ground without gfci protection.
-Having an aquarium without a ground probe could be a problem.
-Having an aquarium on gfci protection is safer.
-Having an aquarium with gfci paired with ground probe is as safe as possible.
-Having an aquarium with only a ground probe is the worst option.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 3070243
Correct- direct to ground at outlet

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back