Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Im having some problems with my zoas. Now, Ive heard of zoas "losing" their colors and bleaching but have you guys heard of zoas with bright green skirts browning out? I have some dragon eyes(1st pic) and eagle eyes(2nd pic) that are supposed to have bright green skirts. Ive had them for about a month and they have turned dark brown. I have also recently added another colony of Dragon eyes and the skirts browned out also. I have one colony at the bottom of the tank and the others on the top. Is this normal? I believe it was under Pcs in the original owners tank and now it is under 136 watts of PCs.

If it is normal, then will the colors come back? These are one of my favorite zoas and I love the bright green skirts the most about them. All of my other corals are thriving except ANY zoas with bright GREEN skirts. I want to stock more of them but Im just afraid that they will brown out again. Thanks for your replies

29 gallon Oceanic Biocube
Refugium with chaeto and skimmer
30 LBs live rock
Nitrates, nitrates, ammonia=0
DKH= 9
Phosphates=0
Calcium=410ppm
PH=8.4
temp=81-82

2hhhz0o.jpg

2h66kpv.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long ago did you get them?

if you've only had them for couple of days, they might color up later... it's a toughie if the colors will look good under PC's.. sometimes they'll fine, sometimes they'll fade...

AS

geoxman

hemp farmer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the lighting is the major part of them browning out. Your Green dragon eyes also look BLAH and you pinks are reaching for light. Try ticking in your tank once in a while.

JJ

But I keep my water a little polluted. Good luck

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Nht

Nht

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person that I bought both of the frags from have big colonies of the eagle eyes and dragon eyes under even lower wattage of PCs and he has kept them in there with beautiful coloration for a year now. Ive had them for about 2 months. When I first introduced them into the tank, they were gorgeous. As the weeks passed, the skirts began to slowly brown.

I appreciate all your suggestions and help, but I would really have to argue that it would be the lighting. I really think that its something that is in my water but Im not sure what it is. ANy other suggestions?

BTW...just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to this forum and a zoa lover. Id have to say, some of you guys have absolutely drop dead gorgeous zoas and I am so jealous.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Nht

Nht

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if everyone is adamant about my problem being issues with lighting, is there anyone out there that are keeping dragon eyes and eagle eyes with success? I would think that 136 watts of power compact in a 29 gallon Biocube would be more than sufficient to keep zoas.

AS

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, pee in the tank....! I would think right after you wake up in the morning would be best, just don't fall in! And for larger tanks, you may have to enlist the help of a friend since it should be done at the same time!
:D
Laurie

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back