Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green mandarin but my copepods will arrive at around 2-8 days and my mandarin arrived this morning lol it came first, so do you guys think bloodworms is enough for now?
Your tank doesn't already have pods!? Are you planning on buying pods every week? ,those fish are better suited for established mature tanks for that reason!!

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank doesn't already have pods!? Are you planning on buying pods every week? ,those fish are better suited for established mature tanks for that reason!!
I bought pods and mandarin at the same time but different store, but mandarin came first and I’m culturing rotifers and phyto so I bought 2 8oz copepods to culture the other 1 and dump the rest to my tank and throw a lot of phyto to it so what do you think? And my tank is running more than a year already

SeaHorseQueen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought pods and mandarin at the same time but different store, but mandarin came first and I’m culturing rotifers and phyto so I bought 2 8oz copepods to culture the other 1 and dump the rest to my tank and throw a lot of phyto to it so what do you think? And my tank is running more than a year already
Do you have access to a store that sells brine shrimp eggs? Research the culture and start hatching them daily.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought pods and mandarin at the same time but different store, but mandarin came first and I’m culturing rotifers and phyto so I bought 2 8oz copepods to culture the other 1 and dump the rest to my tank and throw a lot of phyto to it so what do you think?
They are tricky eaters especially after shipping, hopefully you have plenty of pods on your rocks and glass, once they get used to the tank and your system they might start eating better.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, reef nutrition has a new very concentrated Tigger pod option food now. It's expensive like 36 bucks but there's a bazillion dead Tigger pods in there and so far Manny digs it. I dose like 5ml into the tank

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tricky eaters especially after shipping, hopefully you have plenty of pods on your rocks and glass, once they get used to the tank and your system they might start eating better.
But for how long they can stay alive without food until my copepods arrive?

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, reef nutrition has a new very concentrated Tigger pod option food now. It's expensive like 36 bucks but there's a bazillion dead Tigger pods in there and so far Manny digs it. I dose like 5ml into the tank
Yup for now how long they can stay alive without those pods

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But for how long they can stay alive without food until my copepods arrive?
I would say not too long, depending on surviving or being healthy because it could probably survive for a bit but it would decline in health pretty rapidly. I would go out to you LFS or contact other reefers in the area to try to get some live BBS or set up a BBS hatchery ASAP to give it the best chance at stay healthy and thriving.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup for now how long they can stay alive without those pods
If your tank is a year old you have pods so I would not worry about a few days. Sustaining the pod population is the key though because they peck pods non stop. I like the dead pod option to offset him from taking out the live population easily. They also love Coral Feast Ova. I've had mine about 6 months now.

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say not too long, depending on surviving or being healthy because it could probably survive for a bit but it would decline in health pretty rapidly. I would go out to you LFS or contact other reefers in the area to try to get some live BBS or set up a BBS hatchery ASAP to give it the best chance at stay healthy and thriving.
I have 2-8 days to receive my copepods so bbs will my 2nd chance

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2-8 days to receive my copepods so bbs will my 2nd chance
Get the bbs eggs it could work, it may atleast get them out of shipping/scared mode into hunt mode. Then when your pods come in they are already looking around for food, I've had live brine swim right into them b4 with no reaction, so it's a possibility, but try anything. Then start feeding phyto regularly to keep the numbers up, you may need to order more or let your glass get dirty for a few weeks.

Jay'sReefBugs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepod populations can take a while to build up in a reef system without any predatory fish. Now that you added one it will take longer you definitely need to go to plan B and hope it will eat live BBS to hold it off . By chance was it a captive bread mandarin ? If so then it's already suited for frozen and pellets. Most Fish stores sell wild caught mandarins but it's worth it to check . As others have stated it might not eat for a few days until it feels comfortable good luck

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than trying to feed the Dragonet with live food, I would try to set up a tank and tank-mates that are friendly to Mandarin. My 40 gal frag tank house a thriving spawning Mandarin pair. Much less expensive that way.
How long your tank has been up and what kind of fishes are in it?
28baf01b-8af4-4b82-b72f-3cba2f6ea2df-png.3101163

mandarin2023032302male-jpg.3078668

BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back