Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my tank is about 2 years old now, it’s a 40 gallon breeder, 2 AI prime lights on a 10 hour light schedule, 20 gallon sump with refugium on opposite light schedule as display, growing chaeto. Bubble magus curve 5 skimmer. Tank is stocked as follows.

4 pajama cardinals
1 diamond goby
1 lawnmower blend
1 red anthias
1 purple dottyback
1 Oscellaris clownfish
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
5 hermit crabs
5 trouchus snails.
1 bubble tip
1 torch coral
Pulsing xenia
Various zoas

I’ve been battling for about a year what seems to be green hair algae. It’s super tough to remove, I’ve even tried removing rocks and using a wire brush but the only way to really remove it is by manually pulling it off. I’ve included pictures to get some opinion if it’s definitely GHA. I feed twice a day. Feeding one is about 20 tiny pellets, and feeding 2 is a small chunk of reef frenzy. Nothing seems to eat at this algae. I can remove the majority of it, and it’s back in full force about a week later, and grows long quickly. Phosphates are very low but detectable as well as nitrates. I’ve read through a ton of forums but it seems like my only options are feeding less and less light, which won’t work because of my corals and other inhabitants. The only thing that seems to work is manual removal, is this just what I’m going to have to deal with ? I was hoping some cerith snails would take care of hair algae, so that’s my next step. I’ve included pics for reference.

8CE99D16-349B-4BBD-9EEE-9EABD4045372.jpeg 1EA00D91-F629-445E-86A7-806E004F2B25.jpeg 604A83A5-3B47-489D-BA0C-82E5F4E28EA8.jpeg 07461B88-2EA3-4ED7-B588-6EDBFA6FCC58.jpeg

Corals.com

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algea. What are you nitrates and phosphates testing at. You can always add emerald crabs to take care of it but the hair has to be pretty short for them to pick at it. They won’t pick at it if it’s too long. You can also create a siphon and pull off as much as you can then suck it up with the tube into your filter sock

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal is definitely best method but needs to be consistent, I suffered from this in my 45g a couple of years ago. I just pulled and scrubbed in sections every week, I also used a u.v filter at the time (unsure if this is an option for you). If turning down you lights is not an option for you maybe reduce the amount of hours from 10 to 8 hrs?
I also added a tuxedo urchin which eats so much (now I don't use u.v filter)
Just ideas for you

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Alish1993

Alish1993

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algea. What are you nitrates and phosphates testing at. You can always add emerald crabs to take care of it but the hair has to be pretty short for them to pick at it. They won’t pick at it if it’s too long. You can also create a siphon and pull off as much as you can then suck it up with the tube into your filter sock
.02 is what my phosphates last tested at. Nitrates tested at .3 with hanna checkers

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Alish1993

Alish1993

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal is definitely best method but needs to be consistent, I suffered from this in my 45g a couple of years ago. I just pulled and scrubbed in sections every week, I also used a u.v filter at the time (unsure if this is an option for you). If turning down you lights is not an option for you maybe reduce the amount of hours from 10 to 8 hrs?
I also added a tuxedo urchin which eats so much (now I don't use u.v filter)
Just ideas for you
I had a pin cushion urchin and sadly I think he starved, he did not go after the hair algae at all. Would a UV filter eliminate the nutrients before they could fuel the algae ?

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that but yes as mentioned above once gha gets to a certain length nothing eats it. Yes u.v filters elimate nutrients so have a good read about them as this may effect your corals (I don't have zoas or torch so I'm unsure)

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back