Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently restarted my tank using a large refugium and a Kessil H380.

I am getting lots of green hair algae in the refugium but not in the tank. The refugium seems to be doing what it should.

However, what is the feeling on removing GHA from the refugium? Just let it be or remove?

Top Shelf Aquatics

AshwinRavi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely not the expert on this, I recently started a refugium on 20L for my 75G display. I get very little GHA right by the return on my DT and I remove it off manually and it doesn't affect me much. I think if you let it accumulate to a sizeable portion and then remove, it might tip something off, but I remove it as and when they form, so it doesn't seem to affect my tank much.

Adele

I don't sing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem but it was sucking all the nutrients so my chaeto died. Since I have rubble in my fuge it was on a million bits of rock. I wanted to get rid of it so went lights out for a few weeks. Maybe should have just left it and let it be my nutrient control. I will be curious to see what some of the others have to say.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would harvest. Your kessil is awesome and will outcompete your display lights. Sounds like you have a Algal turf scrubber fuge. How is your cheato? If they are both growing well I'd harvest some of the hair. You don't want it getting out of control and taking over. You could always add a screen in the fuge to harvest easily.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with GHA is that it will spread and spread and spread and it will make its way into your display. Personally, I would pull the GHA out of your sump and try to jump start that macro algae. It also will eat up all the nutrients and eventually kill your cheato. I personally would manually pull as much as I could, increase my gfo(GRADUALLY!), and wet skim. Also, throw some snails in there to help with the clean up!

Corals.com

Rjramos

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto egg crate sandwich idea.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/1684307/
Here is my idea. I have been using chaetosandwich for sometime now. It allows you to place your chaeto within the sandwich and grow out of the egg crate like a chia pet, suspended just below the water level. It allows the chaeto to prosper while everything below it dies off. Good luck![emoji1303]

Top Shelf Aquatics

Adele

I don't sing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto egg crate sandwich idea.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/1684307/
Here is my idea. I have been using chaetosandwich for sometime now. It allows you to place your chaeto within the sandwich and grow out of the egg crate like a chia pet, suspended just below the water level. It allows the chaeto to prosper while everything below it dies off. Good luck![emoji1303]
That is VERY cool

Top Shelf Aquatics

NickK

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing. I don't consider the hair algae in the refuge an issue. Mine grows like crazy and appears to out compete my Chaeto for nutrients. I harvest the hair algae weekly.

The central philosophy here is that you are using algae to export nutrients. Don't sweat whether that is through Chaeto, turf scrubber, or just random hair algae that you pull from your refuge.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the Great info , love that Chateo Sandwich technique.

42018e6901c3d111c46d893563c22537.jpg

Here is a chaetosandwich prior to harvesting both sides.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back