Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a mixing station and want to run RO tubing from my RODI tank to my sump where it will connect to a float valve. I don’t want an electronic ATO that will eventually fail.

My RODI holding tank is 65 gallons and I plan on drilling a hole into the side of the tank and run the RO tubing from there. Obviously, the lower I go, the more top off water I will have available, as well as be able to be out of town for longer periods without having to get someone out to tend to that. I won’t need 65 gallons though.

My question refers to the weight of the water pushing down on the float valve (through the tubing) and leaking into the sump. The lower I place the outlet, the more weight there will be on the valve. I’m thinking about placing the tubing about midway down the tank to have about 30 gallons available for top off. The tank is 43” in height so about half that would be the head height from the float.

Honestly, I think this is a non issue and that the valve won’t essentially fail but just wanted to ask. Has anyone ever thought about this? I’m sure these float valves have their limitations in that regard. Just wondering where that point is.

Top Shelf Aquatics

basementreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t drill the tank for the float valve try this first:
ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump https://a.co/d/1tQ8pSy

I use this for my ato but I only have 5gals. It works great my only concern would be if the 1/4 tubing increases the head pressure since it’s reduced from the container diameter

Joj

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same manual topoff as you described but running with the float valve basementreef linked there. It has worked beautifully for the last year. My topoff container is only 22 gallon so I drilled all the way close to the bottom. Haven’t had a manual float valve failed me yet ‘jinxed’!!! And I run about 5 of them.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t drill the tank for the float valve try this first:
ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump https://a.co/d/1tQ8pSy

I use this for my ato but I only have 5gals. It works great my only concern would be if the 1/4 tubing increases the head pressure since it’s reduced from the container diameter
That’s pretty much what I’m gonna do in the sump, but I can’t do that for my RODI holding tank due to the lid. Plus, the holding tank is so big that I’ll just fill it manually. I don’t trust a float valve coming off my RODI unit because I have a booster pump, and not sure if the pressure of the pump would push water past the float.

Here’s a pic of my tanks
9C776625-F7FD-481D-B8BC-42C7AF25E18F.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same manual topoff as you described but running with the float valve basementreef linked there. It has worked beautifully for the last year. My topoff container is only 22 gallon so I drilled all the way close to the bottom. Haven’t had a manual float valve failed me yet ‘jinxed’!!! And I run about 5 of them.
Yeah I like float valves and gravity. No electronics to fail. I have a Red Sea tank and it has a float valve and it works perfectly!

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a uniseal when you drilled into your RODI container?

basementreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you manually filling those type containers just reduce the black bulkhead (not sure what size on that specific tank). on your tank down to 1/2 with a threaded adapter then a push connect 1/4 fitting then 1/4 tubing straight to your float valve. No need to drill The tank will never drain 100% but if you are going to mix kalkwaser in your top off that could be beneficial

basementreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you manually filling those type containers just reduce the black bulkhead (not sure what size on that specific tank). on your tank down to 1/2 with a threaded adapter then a push connect 1/4 fitting then 1/4 tubing straight to your float valve. No need to drill The tank will never drain 100% but if you are going to mix kalkwaser in your top off that could be beneficial
I was thinking about doing that off of the bulkhead…it’s 1.25” and I have 3/4” pvc. Maybe I could find a 3/4” tee and reduce down to 1/4” RO tubing. I’d rather not drill a hole in the side of that tank.
However, this will be part of a saltwater mixing station so putting kalk in the ro tank won’t be an option.

Nutramar Foods

basementreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh I think I understand better now on what your trying to achieve my apologies

Now you got me thinking about doing this for when I go on vacation this summer yeah build your mixing station and on your r.o side add a additional tee and a valve then reduced to 1/4 tubing feed continuously to you float valve you should definitely be able to fine 1.25 fittings

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

basementreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the thread size on the pump you plan to use if it’s 1” or smaller then I would reduce the tanks to match the pump that will also detothe uniseal you need for the salt side

on my r.o side I did install a float valve off the Rodi to fill and stop automatically never failed I just clean it regularly so it don’t get stuck however I did have to heat the tank with a heat gun to flatten a spot for the float valve to seal

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

basementreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m gonna reduce down to 3/4” immediately off the tanks.
Thanks I guess I’ll install a float also on the RODI side. I already purchased one anyway. Good to know you haven’t had any problems
I can take some better pictures tomorrow if you want some references if you need and more help let me know happy to help

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take some better pictures tomorrow if you want some references if you need and more help let me know happy to help
Ok cool, I appreciate it. I did purchase all the parts a couple of months ago and had it all straight in my head at that time. So I’ll have to refer back to someone’s pics when I plumb it

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back