Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have to say if they didn't cost quite so much, more people would purchase them. The average person pockets aren't quite that deep. Mine definitely aren't and running 4 systems having 13 grandchildren and all kinds of family stuff plus being a happy home owner that is always needing something fixed or replaced and we won't even mention the car.... it makes something like that further out of reach.

Nutramar Foods

prsnlty

Jackie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example; the month of August consist of only three birthdays that I have to deal with LOL so I'm only on a $200 tank budget for August. We also have a $15,000 roof to save for that needs to be done by the end of February because then rainy season starts again. So I am now on an even tighter budget then I was before. Now I must decide what to spend on the tanks because I was going to put a UV in the 180 and I need some media. Granted if all that aiptasia that's in the 29 was in the 180 I would be spending it on that lol but it is in a softie tank which those corals don't even cost that much but it's my grandsons.... It's a dilemma I say!!!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example; the month of August consist of only three birthdays that I have to deal with LOL so I'm only on a $200 tank budget for August. We also have a $15,000 roof to save for that needs to be done by the end of February because then rainy season starts again. So I am now on an even tighter budget then I was before. Now I must decide what to spend on the tanks because I was going to put a UV in the 180 and I need some media. Granted if all that aiptasia that's in the 29 was in the 180 I would be spending it on that lol but it is in a softie tank which those corals don't even cost that much but it's my grandsons.... It's a dilemma I say!!!
Jackie,
If you look at my post that I made first this morning.

(lol)
Them boogers are hard to catch. :confused:

Freddie

Top Shelf Aquatics

prsnlty

Jackie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie,
If you look at my post that I made first this morning.

(lol)
Them boogers are hard to catch. :confused:

Freddie
Lol I bet the are [emoji3]

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty Freddie LOL I'm trying to make a point on sometimes less is more. I know that I'm not the only person like this so if they didn't cost quite so much I'm sure more people would purchase them. Thus possibly putting aiptasia -X and all of them out of business! [emoji12]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I bet the are [emoji3]

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty Freddie LOL I'm trying to make a point on sometimes less is more. I know that I'm not the only person like this so if they didn't cost quite so much I'm sure more people would purchase them. Thus possibly putting aiptasia -X and all of them out of business! [emoji12]
Jackie,
Your right, They are very expensive.

When I used them in 2012 my reef shop used to keep them and I did not pay much for that herd.

:)

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I deployed three peppermint shrimps about a year ago. The DT has no aptasia. The refugium had a few every once in awhile so I put one of the peppermint shrimps in the fuge. It's been about two months since I've seen any aptasia in the fuge. I've also been exporting a bucket of chaeto every two weeks which I'm sure helped. The only corals I lost so far, is a nice green acan. I tried to capture the two shrimps but wasn't successful but they are smart and have decided to stay away from my other acans in order of not being captured lol.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home last light and could not see ;Wideyed a single nudi.

I was going to bed at 10pm so I turned on the t5's.

Saw the big ones but they were not on the glass.

They were combing back over the entire live rock structure like a special forces team. (Inside and Outside of the live rock pores)

Just too hard to catch without tearing up my scape and might have killed them in the process.

But... They were going back over the entire sacpe and that's a great thing. ;Woot ;Woot

Would it be possible to slurp them outta there with a siphon tube?

~Bruce

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to slurp them outta there with a siphon tube?

~Bruce
Bruce,
They were on the move and I may have tumbled down the scape or killed the guys in the process of trying the catch them by any means.

If they would have stayed still or on the glass, then I would have used the suction tube (pipette) that Salty Underground sent me.

If I can catch them, then I can hold them in a filter sock in the sump. Then I can take them to my local reef shop and ship them to Jackie.

I don't know if I'll seen them again.

Thanks, Freddie

Top Shelf Aquatics

prsnlty

Jackie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce,
They were on the move and I may have tumbled down the scape or killed the guys in the process of trying the catch them by any means.

If they would have stayed still or on the glass, then I would have used the suction tube (pipette) that Salty Underground sent me.

If I can catch them, then I can hold them in a filter sock in the sump. Then I can take them to my local reef shop and ship them to Jackie.

I don't know if I'll seen them again.

Thanks, Freddie
That is way too much trouble lol but I do really appreciate the thought and the effort Freddie [emoji4]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deployed three peppermint shrimps about a year ago. The DT has no aptasia. The refugium had a few every once in awhile so I put one of the peppermint shrimps in the fuge. It's been about two months since I've seen any aptasia in the fuge. I've also been exporting a bucket of chaeto every two weeks which I'm sure helped. The only corals I lost so far, is a nice green acan. I tried to capture the two shrimps but wasn't successful but they are smart and have decided to stay away from my other acans in order of not being captured lol.
CoralNerd,
Most of my live rock is Caribbean.
The scape has been changed and a lot of the rock is in bins in the garage.

But... (lol) This live rock came with 6 green mantis shrimp. :eek:

To this day I can still hear the "clicking" and my reef shop loved me for keep buying new clean up crews during that time.

All these new guys want all the hijacker's that they can get.

Well,
Just try to kill or capture one mantis, much less 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;Wacky :mad: ;Dead

Those jokers were too smart for the traps and all the years that I could get the "Real Deal" figi live rock I never got a single mantis.

2 months later I finally got the last one, we all went out for a nice steak dinner. ;Woot ;Woot

But... I'd still buy live rock again.

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralNerd,
Most of my live rock is Caribbean.
The scape has been changed and a lot of the rock is in bins in the garage.

But... (lol) This live rock came with 6 green mantis shrimp. :eek:

To this day I can still hear the "clicking" and my reef shop loved me for keep buying new clean up crews during that time.

All these new guys want all the hijacker's that they can get.

Well,
Just try to kill or capture one mantis, much less 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;Wacky :mad: ;Dead

Those jokers were too smart for the traps and all the years that I could get the "Real Deal" figi live rock I never got a single mantis.

2 months later I finally got the last one, we all went out for a nice steak dinner. ;Woot ;Woot

But... I'd still buy live rock again.

Wow, 6 of them!!!! I had 1 mantis hiding in a gorgeous LR that I purchase from a wholesale place here in FL several years ago. Everything I did failed to catch him until I finally broke down the one tank and moved it all into a 125. As I was moving some rocks in I spotted him and managed to catch him finally! I just could not imagine six of them and all that clicking ! [emoji1]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, 6 of them!!!! I had 1 mantis hiding in a gorgeous LR that I purchase from a wholesale place here in FL several years ago. Everything I did failed to catch him until I finally broke down the one tank and moved it all into a 125. As I was moving some rocks in I spotted him and managed to catch him finally! I just could not imagine six of them and all that clicking ! [emoji1]
Jackie,

Mine were the "Smashers".
Talk about going threw a lot of clean up crew. :eek:

I finally got the last one trapped into one piece of live rock and blocked all the passages.

Got the biggest syringe that I could find and smoked him and the entire inside of that live rock with lemon juice.

Did not quit juicing that live rock until I saw that he was ;Dead :D

Corals.com

Jlentz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad mantis shrimp aren't reef friendly. Such cool shrimp.

Fwiw, I keep a peacock in an lps reef. Once you come to terms with the fact that the cuc is mantis food when he gets hungry it's pretty dang cool.

I also have two 90s plumbed together so I can keep an sps reef and whatnot as well.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update for the day

GoVols: Coral back from a deep sleep

As I've said before my rock scape has changed.
During the old scape I had a plating monti that grew huge. It got so big that it was blocking all the flow in the middle of the reef.
So, When I re-scaped for the Achilles, I tore out the monti and traded in.

I could not get all it's underneath white anchor points because they were rock hard and encrusted to the live rock.
So, They have been laying dormant in the reef for along time.

After I went with the Kessil/T5 hybird, I started to see a change in the old anchor points. They were coming to life.

So, The first shot, is a shot I took the other day as a reference and it's on the upper right corner of the scape.
The other shots are close ups and shows the 3 anchor points that are waking up.

We can check on their growth and color as we go.

0726171711_HDR.jpg

0728171847.jpg

0728171853.jpg

0728171853.jpg

0728171854.jpg

0728171857.jpg

0728171857_HDR.jpg

Regards, GoVols :)

Avast
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral-vault.com
Back