+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoVols: (2 - poster of the day) :)

To myself we should help each other as part of the Reef 2 Reef family and give our honest reviews.

So this post was my adventure with Aquaforest and I was running (NSW) parameters at that time.

Started using Aquaforest back in 2015 when it first hit the US. Could only get it from Amazon or Salty Supply at the time.

Used 4 products.

1) Aquaforest "Reef Salt"
2) Pro Bio-S with NP Pro
3) Component 1+ 2+ 3+

Reef Salt:
Mixes super fast with no residue but I had consistency issues from batch to batch or bucket to bucket while mixing to their QC sheets.
Used six buckets over about a 8-9 month period.
Bucket #'s 1, 3, 4 and 5 mixed spot on to the qc sheets.
Bucket 2 and 6 mixed to about/ 350 cal / alk at 6 dkh.

Well I crossed check those #'s with Red Sea, API and Elos test kits. And on bucket #6, I drove it to my local reef shop and same #'s.
I mix 3 5-gallon jugs a week to 1.025 sg.

So, I finish bucket #5 on jug #1 / open bucket #6 and mix jugs #2 and #3 with that bucket.
So now I'm mixing all 3 jugs at the same time and check jugs #2 an #3 because they are from a brand new bucket.
Testing comes in at the low #'s stated above. Test jug 1 with bucket #5 is still spot on. All three read 1.025 sg.

So bucket #6 was my last bucket.
I did not feel like I was paying AF to dose up to what it should mix to, on their QC sheets.

I did try to get Deep Water to help me both times. They said that the Sea Salt must have gotten into the Reef Salt bucket. (twice)
We will email AF Poland. Did not replace buckets, send us sample just email Poland.

So I was reporting to Deep Water back in 2015 that there were mixing consistency issues from bucket to bucket or batch to batch.

I never bought a bucket from DF & S but they were kind enough to post my review on their site.

I truly hope that AF has fixed the mixing to the QC sheet issue but have not used their salt in over a year.

This has nothing to do with AF-US support. They truly work their butts off to help others.

Pro Bio-S with NP Pro
Turned my reef into a cyano monster.
Could be my user error but that's what I saw.

Component 1+ 2+ 3+
One of the best and the best dosing product that I've ever used with my DOS pumps.
Can't even say enough wonderful things about that product and wrote a thread on the AF forum to how to balance it out to three even doses.
Used this product for about 6-7 months and not one complaint and comes at a great price point.

Thus ends post 1

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this post was my adventure with Aquaforest and I was running (NSW) parameters at that time.

@GoVols and I bonded over AF salt not matching parameters. I purchased an AF bucket in Feb 2017 that had the reported high Mg/Ca and low K/S/Na issue. I mailed test samples for ICP testing, used multiple refractormeters, calibration solutions, test kits, etc. There were similar reports on Facebook group, where I found fellow Facebook AF users hostile and AF Poland dismissive. I also felt foolish since I'd read the reports from 2016.

BRS was great and refunded me, an ICP test of Red Sea Blue Bucket tested perfectly and I moved on. I have since received a few PM from people telling similar tales.

I'm responding because @GoVols posted, yet I'm hesitant to bring it up. I'm moved on and have no interesting in discussing AF further. The above was my experience ~5 months ago. I am thankful for AF salt introducing me to @GoVols thou, made it all worthwhile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd post of the day goes out to my very good friend @Rakie :)

So after the AF Reef Salt I'm plugging away with IO and Reef Crystals and had a lot left over.
Meanwhile Rakie an I were shooting pm's together last fall and he hit a new salt mix and told me that he loved it.

So, This post is about the Fritz RPM salt mix.
I did some research and it mixes to what my reef loves.

@ 1.025 sg
Cal: 430 - 440
Alk: 8 - 8.5 dkh
Mag: 1400 - 1420

Another super fast mixer with no residue.
Used one 205 gallon box and it was spot on.

As @MrMichael , I do like the "Blue Bucket" and it has a very long and stable track record.

But I do shoot for the Fritz #'s for my reef.

So at sometime down the road I will be buying another box of the RPM, new refractometer, Hanna Alk checker and send a fresh mixed sample to Triton labs. I have never seen a Triton report with the RPM and I can check my test kits too.

If all looks good then the Fritz RPM could be my long term salt because it mixes to what my reef likes and where I hold it to.

When doing the research I came across this video.

Regards, GoVols :)

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, This post is about the Fritz RPM salt mix.

At NY RAP, there were multiple people with hand trucks buying boxes and boxes of the Fritz salt. A nice way to avoid shipping. On Saturday, I think one guy won 10 boxes of Fritz salt in the raffle. He clearly came with a plan and went all in on the raffle.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols and I bonded over AF salt not matching parameters. I purchased an AF bucket in Feb 2017 that had the reported high Mg/Ca and low K/S/Na issue. I mailed test samples for ICP testing, used multiple refractormeters, calibration solutions, test kits, etc. There were similar reports on Facebook group, where I found fellow Facebook AF users hostile and AF Poland dismissive. I also felt foolish since I'd read the reports from 2016.

BRS was great and refunded me, an ICP test of Red Sea Blue Bucket tested perfectly and I moved on. I have since received a few PM from people telling similar tales.

I'm responding because @GoVols posted, yet I'm hesitant to bring it up. I'm moved on and have no interesting in discussing AF further. The above was my experience ~5 months ago. I am thankful for AF salt for introducing me to @GoVols thou, made it all worthwhile.
Micheal,
I'm sorry that I hijacked your thread (back then) but at least we became very good friends. :)
I have moved on too but I just wanted to post my findings and I'm done posting about it as well.

Freddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At NY RAP, there were multiple people with hand trucks buying boxes and boxes of the Fritz salt. A nice way to avoid shipping. On Saturday, I think one guy won 10 boxes of Fritz salt in the raffle. He clearly came with a plan and went all in on the raffle.
... :rolleyes: ... :D

Rakie gets it at $40 a box. :confused:

AquaCave Logo Banner

justingraham

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... :rolleyes: ... :D

Rakie gets it at $40 a box. :confused:
I bought one box for 50 bucks in march besides the 36 cups I removed to do four water changes because of my black water carbon problem it kinda just sits there it's a nice box tho all black and white and blue ish. Plus it's one of the salts recommended by triton to use.

U should try triton the whole never doing a waterchange is awesome in fact when I had to do my emergency water change I was reminded why I love triton so much

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one box for 50 bucks in march besides the 36 cups I removed to do four water changes because of my black water carbon problem it kinda just sits there it's a nice box tho all black and white and blue ish. Plus it's one of the salts recommended by triton to use.

U should try triton the whole never doing a waterchange is awesome in fact when I had to do my emergency water change I was reminded why I love triton so much

Jason,
If you run the Triton method.
Is there any carbon dosing involved or any carbon sources in their products?

Thanks, Freddie

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason,
If you run the Triton method.
Is there any carbon dosing involved or any carbon sources in their products?

Thanks, Freddie
I *think* letting macro-algae die (don't prune) releases sugars that are similar carbon dosing? Maybe Jason can clarify. According to the manual to are supposed to trim the fuge some, but also let some die and breakdown. Not sure how you figure how the right ratio. Less likely to screw up the the always prune approach.

Avast
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *think* letting macro-algae die (don't prune) releases sugars that are similar carbon dosing? Maybe Jason can clarify. According to the manual to are supposed to trim the fuge some, but also let some die and breakdown. Not sure how you figure how the right ratio. Less likely to screw up the the always prune approach.
I'm watching the Triton users.

But if it ain't broke then I'm not fixing.

I'm Bare Bottom and a I like water changes.
It lets me get most of the detritus out.
I'm happy that with my 18% water changes, GFO reactor / Purigen reactor my phos. is always about .025 - .03 and nitrates at 4-5ppm.
I don't have to carbon dose anymore and have not seen a single thread of a new cyano outbreak ever since.

But... (lol) There's always tomorrow. :eek:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know this jason guy seems like a smart guy tho

No carbon doseing at all just dose the four parts equally full my fuge with a bunch of macro algea and let it go till it dies or there is to much then trim back

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know this jason guy seems like a smart guy tho

No carbon doseing at all just dose the four parts equally full my fuge with a bunch of macro algea and let it go till it dies or there is to much then trim back
Thanks,
I'll tag along with you on your build. :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or another tank
The only thing that will fit in our den is the "Reefer Nano" and right now the wife says it's a "No Go". :D

I showed her the Philips CoralCare.
She Said... When they get that thing to about the thickness of our our wide screen hanging over the reef, We'll talk.
Reminded her of the ole MH fixtures hanging.

Buying the S 400 has been like a double edged sword. She said "finally" our den will not look like a science project anymore. :)

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or look at the new brs video they are going to be doing the triton on the 160
Justin,
I love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll just watch Triton play out over time.

My reef is in a happy spot and I'm just relaxing at the moment. :D
It should be crashing at anytime, by now. :eek:

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

justingraham

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin,
I love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll just watch Triton play out over time.

My reef is in a happy spot and I'm just relaxing at the moment. :D
It should be crashing at anytime, by now. :eek:
U got my name right ya!!!!!!

I like this method more natural

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back