Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading my tank and want to get some better equipment with the upgrade. I have well water and I'm unsure which RO/DI system would be best and whether I need a pump to push the water through it. I am also looking at Skimmers but don't know which kind would be best. I don't plan to have a very heavy bioload but I'd like to have extra filtration. I also want to look into getting a self-dosing system and a controller to watch parameters while I'm away. Any ideas of what could work?

Nutramar Foods

NeedAReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a sump that big you could basically make a fuge of all of it without the need for a skimmer. Get a good grow light and water movement in there and bang done. Filter socks or pads in front to grab the detritus but you could do it. I saw a nice one on YT that the BRS guys are trying to build that has Scats and pom pom macro, looks awesome too.

OP
OP
A

aj77757

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a sump that big you could basically make a fuge of all of it without the need for a skimmer. Get a good grow light and water movement in there and bang done. Filter socks or pads in front to grab the detritus but you could do it. I saw a nice one on YT that the BRS guys are trying to build that has Scats and pom pom macro, looks awesome too.
Should I get a UV-sterilizer at least or do you think just a fuge would do the job for filtration?

AquaCave Logo Banner

NeedAReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a UV-sterilizer at least or do you think just a fuge would do the job for filtration?
great question. I was out of the hobby about 10 years up until last year when I got back into it post divorce etc. I changed three things this time around.
1, I absolutely use a quarantine that I keep running with water from my main display (rather than toss display water, I drain a bucket into the QT tank each water change.
2. I run UV in the QT tank AND in my sump of the DT. No idea if it does anything but I have not had the mysterious deaths and dinos etc etc that I used to battle.
3. I dip all my corals regardless of where they come from.

With those 3 things, i have seen a marked improvement in how this reef compares to the ones I have had in the past. Not saying your results will match, be better, or worse, but in my experience, I am saying these changes I made to how I keep my tank are a difference maker.

NeedAReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, have a look at my build thread as there are tank shots in there. Your tank is not much different in size from my current one. For reference, my last one 10 years ago was a 120 lit with MH and Fluorescent combo, with a chiller and a big sump. Now I have less water volume and more livestock and a better looking tank. Go figure.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back