Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my bio cube about a month ago I have it fully cycled and currently have a clownfish and shrimp/goby combo I was planning on adding some coral pretty soon just not to sure what I should add because the tank isn’t super developed and because I just have the stock biocube light what do you guys recommend I should add that would do good in here with the lights

ps. I’m new to the hobby this is my first tank so anything helps:)

D7568F7A-A80F-499D-8E60-4134DC8CC55A.jpeg CFBDB9F5-00B8-49B8-9D6D-BFC1B643871D.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies like leathers, Duncan corals are good starter corals. Candy cane, Zoas .Many soft corals look nice in general and are fairly easy to grow. Acans are pretty easy and come in quite a few colors.

AS

steveschuerger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about torch corals and some hammers
I like em. I had a bunch before an algae/possible Dino issue last fall. Have a small cristata torch and a frogspawn right now. Good corals but I’d give the tank a little time to mature. Frogspawn are about the most forgiving of the bunch . And they look great in the water movement. Medium flow is best I’d say. Here’s my small frog and torch.
609146A5-8155-40C2-9F25-6B606D32C7DD.jpeg
19F5DF12-7D36-4D82-9DBC-14D29DE9EF29.jpeg

Alvaro_Spain

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my bio cube about a month ago I have it fully cycled and currently have a clownfish and shrimp/goby combo I was planning on adding some coral pretty soon just not to sure what I should add because the tank isn’t super developed and because I just have the stock biocube light what do you guys recommend I should add that would do good in here with the lights

ps. I’m new to the hobby this is my first tank so anything helps:)

View attachment 2978795 View attachment 2978796
the suggestions are all correct, but I see that tank too "clean" to have ended cycling. So white rocks and sand. Some softies can even withstand a tank still cycling, but I´d probably wait another month just with those clowns to be sure.

steveschuerger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is that the light isn´t strong enough for the algae to develop. If that´s the case, even softies would have a hard time surviving.
Trust me algae can and will develop. I had the 16 gallon Biocube as my first tank and it started to get some algae before I moved to an IM AIO 30 gallon . Softies should do ok . I had Zoas , Toadstool and Cespitularia and a Duncan that were in there growing well.

Crofty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4 weeks my BioCube 32 looked exactly like yours. I tested the waters with a waving hand Anthelia, a birds nest Stylophora, and a hammer coral.
The anthelia was instant gratification as far as visible growth - glad I isolated it to an island or it would have taken over all.
The birds nest is happy and growing slow but steady.
The hammer was the biggest challenge. It took weeks to fully expand the polyps and start doing well. I should have waited another month before adding it and it is still the first coral to show signs of any tank instability.

At 6 weeks I added Zoas, Candy Cane, Toadstool, and Leptastreas corals. All of those also did well.

The biocube 32 LEDs with all 3 channels on will provide plenty of light for many corals, in fact you should be careful to acclimate your corals at a low level first. The top half of the tank is too bright for initial placement in my experience.

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20g tank was done cycling on Oct 18th and I added two hammers and zoas very shortly after (Nov 1st). Most would say that is super early but they have been doing great! I don't know too much about that light though as I am running primes

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back