+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all!

I wanted to share a little story about a gonio frag I have. When I first purchased this gonio my tank was still pretty new. I was still learning and It ended up dying on me. I had a 20g long with coralife lights, which aren't horrible, but they aren't the best for growing out coral. I didn't know too much about light just yet. It ended up turning into just complete skeleton but I left it in the tank still. I was tossed around a few times when I was syphon the sand so it was always kinda in the way. I then upgraded to a 40g breeder and I decided to keep the skeleton because I loved the shape of it. I then upgrade to T5s along with the coralife light (LEDS). This skeleton was also thrown around like crazy because it was just always in the way. It's a pretty big piece and very heavy! One day I was cleaning the tank and I noticed when the blue lights were on, it had micro dots where the concave areas were. They formed a circle in each concave spot. It looked like a dotted circle, but these dots were just so very small; micro, micro. Specs! You could barely notice it but you could see it if you really looked under the blue lights. So, as I noticed these dotted circles in each concave spot, I decided to glue it to a permanent area. It has had a few locations as the months went on. This coral is roughly about 8 months old. I upgraded recently (2 months ago) to the NICREW 50w. I have two of them. In the recent months, the micro dots turned into each concave spot filling in with a white/pink color. And after some time it looked like a dome forming over each spot (you can see in the pics). I wish I had gotten more photos of the process because it went through a ton of changes especially when I changed over to the Nicrew lights. I noticed very tiny petals starting to form along with mouths! That was a great feeling to see...mouths! However, when I put the new light they went back in and I almost thought it might just die "again." BBBUTTTTTTTTT.... they acclimated! The gonio looked even better! I am happy to say, I think they will make a full recovery. I think it's absolutely amazing to see how this was nothing but skeleton to now. I want to thank the person that told me to never throw away coral. You're absolutely right!!! Here are some photos of what I got during the process. The first photo is what it looked like when I first brought it home. I don't have a photo of it being completely skeleton, just because I didn't think it was ever going to grow back, but you can get an idea of the spots it hasn't grown, that's what the entire thing looked like. The last pic is today... WILD!!

0-4.jpeg 0-5.jpeg 0-1.jpeg 0-2.jpeg 0-3.jpeg 0.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back