Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was gifted my 1st ever Goniapora. She was completely closed when i put her into my tank and after a couple hours she opened up. Please wish me luck!

20220829_150212.jpg

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was gifted my 1st ever Goniapora. She was completely closed when i put her into my tank and after a couple hours she opened up. Please wish me luck!

View attachment 2806782
Great news that is opened right out of the gate. Good luck!

Corals.com

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I wanted one for awhile now but was hesitant because I heard alot from people that caring for goniapora is difficult.
I have a broad set of coral softies/SPS/LPS, Derasa Clam, Maxima Clam, BTA's, RBTA's, etc. Very mixed reef. Most everything does well after I find a place they like. The gonis though, I just don't know. I had a red one for about a year and admittedly I messed up, nitrate bottomed out and that went poorly. So don't do that. I replaced it with a different one a year later and day one it wasn't happy, never really came out and slowly died over about a 9 month period.

The biggest/only difference is the Nitrate levels. In the past with my 1 year of success my nitrates were 10+ which was high enough to make other newer coral angry. Of course my effort to reduce that brought nitrate to zero which killed it along with a basketball sized monti cap, eek! Hopefully it works out for you and perhaps will inspire me to try yet again.

Nutramar Foods

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis need nutrients. Po4 and NO3 to start. I also dose manganese and iron which are essentially plant fertilizers. That’s how you have to think of gonis. As if they are plants. Low to moderate lighting and moderate flow and they are easy peazy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back